Icing Stabilizers...

Decorating By jobueno Updated 28 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm by jibbies

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and was wondering about icing stabilizers. I read somewhere if you add stabilizers to your buttercream you can actually freeze it. How does that work? What are stabilizers made from? can one improvize or substitute?

Many thanks
jobueno

4 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 5

Welcome to CC jobueno
If I'm making buttercream in the summer here in mid Georgia I add a heaping teaspoon of meringue powder to each recipe.
Buttercream can be frozen very successfully with or without stabilizers. I put it in Ziplock bags (doubled) and take it out before I need it I usually run it through my KA for about a minute before I use it. Works great, and free's up time, especially on wedding cake decoraing days!

Jibbies

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

I have worked with buttercream icing in bakeries for over 30 years. I have never used an icing stabilizer in my buttercream. There is never a problem freezing it.

I do know they use a stabilizer in all of the cooked glazes which are used on donuts and cinnamon rolls and it kept it from breaking down and turning runny when packaged in an air tight plastic wrap. The stabilizers used for this was Agar which is a gelatin like product made from seaweed.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info. The problem I'm having actually is that i'm making a cake for my mother's 60th birthday and it has to be frozen for her to take back to the Dominican Republic (long flight from texas, lots of humidity and perishiable filling...she wants bavarian cream).

I don't see any other way than freezing the cake so it thaws on the way back home. Is this doable?

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 5

With all the changes in the airline industry, I would call the airline that your mother is going to be using and find out what their rules are. I think I remember some talk about people not being able to take a boxed cake on board.

Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%