Keep The Greese Out- Bright White ???

Decorating By nicolescakes Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm by nicolescakes

nicolescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolescakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

PLEASE HELP!!! :^) I have been using a product that was called "bright white" that kept the icing from turning to greese. Is there an alternative to this- or what do other people use to keep their icing "stable"?? When using this product, the icing was fine. I used it for years and now is unavailible- or at least I cant find it.
Please Help--

Thanks,
Nicole

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 8

You really shouldn't need any additives to keep your icing stable. I suggest looking for a new recipe (there are tons on this site).

nicolescakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

I got this buttercream icing recipe ten years ago when I took cake classes. It was the instructors recipe and it called for a tablespoon of an ingredient called brite white. She said the brite white takes the crisco taste out of the icing and it also prevents the oil from the crisco to leak all over. Well the lady closed down and the new place where I am going is having the hardest time finding what this brite white really is and where to get it. I made icing this past weekend without the brite white and sure enough the oil just leaked out of the icing. This is the only buttercream recipe I have ever used (LOVED IT - until now) Someone once mentioned something about cream of tarter, I'm wondering maybe if this brite white had cream of tarter in it. Thanks for any help!!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 8

Brite White is an icing base that helps to stablilize the liquids in the icing.

I'd venture to say that the reason your icing went greasy/leaky was because you used the new Crisco. The lack of trans fats makes the icing softer and more prone to being greasy, especially when it's warm.

You can switch to all hi ratio shortening in your recipe and get the same results you had with using the Brite White. The hi ratio holds liquids in suspension better and longer than regular shortening.

I made the switch 2 years ago and I swear by it. In cold weather, I'll often use half butter & half hi ratio. In hot weather, I cut back on the butter and increase the hi ratio. My icing is smooth & stable.

HTH
Rae

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:26am
post #5 of 8

Try using an equal amout of meringue powder in your recipe.

Jibbies

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 10:34am
post #6 of 8

Angel White icing base can be used as a substitute for Brite White icing base. (Google Angel White.)

Snow White icing base is available (in bulk) from:
www.nationalflavors.com

Your local cake supply shop might be able to order it:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591923-.html

HTH

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 8

I have a question obout this bright white stuff... does is keep the buttercream from crusting?

nicolescakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 8

No - The buttercream icing will still crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%