Meringue Powder

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 1:32am by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 7

Does it really matter if I left the meringue powder out of my buttercream icing? I'm only using it for a cake class tonight. Will my icing not work as well?

Thanks!
Celeste

6 replies
stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

If it is the Wilton class icing, you'll be fine even without adding the meringue powder.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 7

i never use meringue powder.... i make my buttercream thinner to ice my layers.... a little stiffer for borders etc.... a little more stiffer for roses , etc.... i never make it too stiff for the roses, and other flowers.. it just does better for me.... hth

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 7

You'll be fine--the meringue pwdr. really helps to add stability if your icing is going to be in high temps though!! Probably not a problem at cake class tonight though!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Meringue pwdr in b'cream was something Wilton dreamed up to sell more product.
As the others said, your b'cream - no matter the recipe - should be just fine w/o it.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

I had heard that using Meringue Powder in buttercream icing would help it to crust better. Therefore I used it for the longest time. Then one day I ran out and made my buttercream without it and guess what? It crusted exactly the same. I've not used it since. I do however add a tablespoon of Meringue Powder to my cake mixes. I do feel that it helps it to rise higher.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

Great info from everyone! Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%