Great Tool For Cutting Dowels, Pillars, Etc.

Decorating By Suebee Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm by linda2530

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

This is the best thing I ever found. Ratcheting PVC Cutter by BrassCraft. Bought it from Home Depot for $16. It cuts dowels and pillars with ease and perfectly straight and smooth, no additional trimming needed. Be careful - it can take a finger off with ease too!!! (So I have been told)

3 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 4

Thanks for the tip!
I hate cutting those things! Anything to make life easier!

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 4

I have to agree with Suebee about the PVC cutter. They do work great. But I always tape all dowels for each layer together into one bundle with masking tape before cutting. That way they are all exactly the same length. I still have to use my miter box and back saw to cut the larger bundles.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 4

On the subject of the PVC cutter...I have found that using "potable" water PVC pipe makes great dowels. I had noticed that sometimes the wooden ones had a smell and after being in the cake it was worse.
There is a thinner schedule of it, and a heavier one, I like the thinner. It does have some writing on it, but I go over it with a kitchen scrubber and it comes off, it may leave a little light wording, but it beats the smell of the wood, and it really is not that costly when you consider how many you can cut. It also helps with traveling for support.
Just a thought!
Linda2530

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%