Did Ya Hear About The "free Cake" Lady?

Decorating By juleskaye518 Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm by Mac

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 17

In this week's People magazine there is an article on page 78 about a non-pro cake decorator that makes cakes for kids in foster care and other needy kids. No charge. Goooooo good people! Check her out at www.freecakesforkids.com

16 replies
KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 17

Yeah...when this was posted awhile back i contacted her for info on getting started in my area. This is a really good thing that she's doing!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:57am
post #3 of 17

I have been doing cakes for children who are hospitalized on their birthdays for the past year and a half. Not sure what info you need from her to "get started"... I just called up the hospital and told them to call me when they needed a cake. They are more than happy to get them!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:20am
post #4 of 17

the cake club i belong to , does this..... different ones sign up for different months.... it has done really well...

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 17

OMG, this is such a good idea! My mom works for a hospital here, so I'm going to tell her to volunteer me! I'm really glad I saw this thread! TFS! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 17

That sounds like a great idea! Do they care if you don't have professional baking space? Can you do it out of your own kitchen?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:51am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmama1

That sounds like a great idea! Do they care if you don't have professional baking space? Can you do it out of your own kitchen?

Good question pugmama1.

I am going to contact the hospital here this afternoon and see what they say.

What a good idea for the hospital thing. This woman who started this is on to something. How cool of her. icon_smile.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #8 of 17

That is such a wonderful thing to do. My only concern is how does she verify that there is actually a need to avoid being taken advantage of. I emailed her to check.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 17

very cool! What a great idea. The hospital idea is great too. I'll have to check into that.
Jen...

missnyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnyc Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 17

What a truely amazing lady!

Sweet-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Dreams Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 17

I would love to get involved at my hospitals as well! What a wonderful idea! icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 17

Thats a great idea, but I wonder how she verifies that these families are actually in need?
There are alot of people out there who would take advantage of an organization like that.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 17

I have done this for the local women's shelter. I talked with someone at our city offices that transferred me to the lady in charge of intakes at the shelter. They were MORE than receptive to the idea.

Did have to be careful when I delivered it. Had to call so the shelter would know that I was coming--what time, car that I drive--and had to be buzzed in from the gate. But it was worth it.

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 17

This is such an awesome idea. I would love to be involved. I am not a licensed/registered baker in the state of pa. I have done cakes over the years for family and friends children and special occasions. I hope that will not be a problem. I have always loved the childrens cakes the most, the way their eyes light up with excitement makes it all worth it. Any help or advice on how to get this started would be wonderful. Such an amazing idea, I love it.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:31pm
post #15 of 17

This lady does them out of her own kitchen. About making sure that they go to deserving people, I hadn't thought of that. I'm sure through her contacts she is taken care of. Especially since she's been doing it for a while. I am a HUGE proponent of fighting violence against women and girls, and I think that doing this for the womens shelter is a great idea. Cake can be so uplifting, and bakers aren't the only ones who think so.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 17

I work for a children's hospital and would love to make cakes for the kids here but we are under strict rules about food safety and even if you are baking out of a licensed kitchen, all food has to be prepared in the hospital's kitchens. These kids are very very sick and can't risk illness. icon_sad.gif But I do try to donate cake very often to the nurses and staff who work very hard for these kids.

Actually I was posting to tell you: my friend is an un-sung hero and a nonprofessional cake baker. She bakes birthday cakes for homeless and transients in inner-city San Francisco. She delivers the cake with a few plates, napkins and forks.

These cakes mean SO MUCH to them because they think noone in the world remembers something so personal as a birthday. Some of them cry and tell her "they have not gotten a birthday cake ever" even in their childhood. It makes all the difference what a little cake can do. icon_wink.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #17 of 17

Many times I have told my brides that if they have cake left over, to take it to the homeless shelter. The guys in the kitchen there know me and will hold all my cake stuff until I can pick it up. They are so appreciative and always ask when my next wedding is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%