Wish Me Luck!

Business By momtobtb Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm by momtobtb

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #1 of 5

I sent in my application last week to get my home food license here in Iowa. Luckilly, I really don't need a license to bake out of my home, but I'd like to do more cream fillings and that's when I need a license. The state considers anything that needs to be refrigerated as potentially hazardous so to do so a license is required. I just spoke with my inspector and I'm set for Thursday at 4:30. Iowa is pretty leniant when it comes to certain requirements so I'm not too stressed.

Any tips? I've read that people need some test strips. Where can I get those at? I already have my fridge and freezer thermometers. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!


4 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 5

Good luck!

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry I don't have any tips for you but....good luck! And keep us posted!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 5

Yes good luck! We are allowed to have home bakers, but even with licensing we arent allowed to use cream based fillings and such. (I Guess because most homes don't have the space to refrigerate big wedding cakes and such) So don't know about test strips..do you mean a quick themoter?

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 5

It's funny how each state is different!

Hopefully I should be good to go. I just recently got new countertops and built in a new pantry where I have shelves just for my cake supplies.

I'm so nervous and just ready to get this out of the way!

Quote by @%username% on %date%