Book For Making Flowers (Gumpaste, Fondant And Buttercream)

Decorating By tiamariad Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm by aileenlnbh

tiamariad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiamariad Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 2

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I'm so glad I found this website! I'm a newbie to Cake Decorating and fell in love with it when I found the Cake Decorating Made Easy E-books. Since then I've bought lots of other cake decorating books (I love the Lindy Smith and Peggy Porschen Books) but have not found any really in depth books for making flowers etc. I was hoping to go to college and do a night course in Cake Decorating, but the only courses I've found are very basic and cover the bits I know. Does anyone know of a really in depth book that I would be able to get here in the UK I would also be interested in any really good cake decorating books to add to my collection

Thanks
Nikkei

1 reply
aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Im also a newbie and have found my way gently into sugarcraft by making basic flowers etc. I bought a book off of amazon by Mich Turner of the Little Venice Cake Company (based in London, see their website) - she made cakes for birthdays for Gordon Ramsay etc. It was £25 in a major uk bookstore but i think i got it for £13 off amazon. It covers things like basic recipes - lemon cake, carrot cake, a great fruit cake, coffee and walnut cake and also covers things like making butterflies by icing and then flooding, templates for detailed icings, and how to make, decorate and use chocolate fondant. it also gives some really nice pictures and examples of elegant ways to decorate cakes (its not about fun cakes or anything, more for nice birthdays and weddings). Its not flowers in detail so dont want to mislead but i bought it and have referred back to it for the templates and have made and used the chocolate fondant which is scrummy. Can you tell me more about the ebooks that you referred to (PM me) as id like to go through these. Ive just finished my first sugarcraft flower cake, without any tools but thankfully now all on order. PS - if you want to see some nice decorating and a modern site, go to cake journal.com - i love her site (she also has a UK book page on her site which recommends loads of books, Im working my way through them so we could get a couple each, read them and if they are any good recommended to one another!? Any sites you can also recommend of anything else for this newbie, let me know. PS - i have found AlmondArt.com to be the most reliable and well priced site for cake decorating materials icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%