Mirror Cake Base ?

Decorating By Mepn Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm by Cake_Princess

Mepn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mepn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:25am
post #1 of 6

I have a small 2 tiered wedding cake for November and the bride requested a round mirror for the base. My questions are:

1-Do I still use a large cake board and then set the mirror on that?
2-Do I glue or tape the mirror?
3-Do i set the cake directly on top or the mirror or use another cake board or parchment paper between the cake and mirror?

5 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:02am
post #2 of 6

Hi
I worked at a fancy country club for almost a year and became friends with everyone in the kitchen.
They never used cake boards on the bottom tier of the cake.
They built it directly on a mirror.

The mirror was almost an inch thick- to support the weight.
There was nothing between the cake and the mirror.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:10am
post #3 of 6

Several of the cakes in my gallery have mirror bases. I had them made at a glass place. they are 1/4 of an inch thick I have put very heavy cakes on them. I always put a cake circle under even the base tier. If there is cake left it is usually the bottom tier, and if there is a cake circle it is easier to lift the cake off of the mirror with a cake circle under it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1084413.html
Here is a good view of what a cake looks like on the mirror.

Jibbies

jules1719 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules1719 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:23am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

Several of the cakes in my gallery have mirror bases. I had them made at a glass place. they are 1/4 of an inch thick I have put very heavy cakes on them. I always put a cake circle under even the base tier. If there is cake left it is usually the bottom tier, and if there is a cake circle it is easier to lift the cake off of the mirror with a cake circle under it.

I also put the cakes on cake circles (or foam core) first then place on the mirror. I had one or two shift during transport, so I suggest either some double sided tape or some florists compound under the bottom board to prevent this.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 6

I would also use a cardboard under the cake.

1) If there is any leftover cake, then the cake can be removed and I can take my base back with me right away.
2) I wouldn't want the cutting to be done directly on the mirror or any other of my stands.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mepn

I have a small 2 tiered wedding cake for November and the bride requested a round mirror for the base. My questions are:

1-Do I still use a large cake board and then set the mirror on that?
2-Do I glue or tape the mirror?
3-Do i set the cake directly on top or the mirror or use another cake board or parchment paper between the cake and mirror?

You can place a cake board between the cake and the mirror. This way the mirror is not being scratched up when the cake is cut.

I have seen 2 types of mirror bases. Just the mirror cut in the appropriate shape. Another way is to have the mirror glued to a plywood and edged so they plywood does not show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%