Bad Cake Weekend :-)

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm by seasonsmoke

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 8

Sooooo had three cakes this weekend. Seems like the weekend either goes great, or goes bad....this one wasn't so good although I guess it could have been worse.

Did a Coach handbag cake. I have my LV cake down pretty well but this coach one was harder...open at the top, harder to do the logos (need to make a stencil somehow next time). Plus the flat handle was not as sturdy as the LV rolled handle. (Next time I'll use gumpaste!) Anyway got the cake done, photographed, all is well. Handle feels relatively stable. I had already accidentally undercharged this cake by $25 PLUS I was hasty quoting a delivery price and WAY undercharged for delivery... 90 minute drive each way! I charged for maybe a 20 minute drive. So I was already irritated. Hubby was going to deliver while I finished up some other work. I went to get it out of the fridge for him and in the blink of an eye, the shelf above the cake caught the handle as I took it out (too hastily I will admit) and the entire handle just busted right off the cake. Decapitated!

So we threw all FOUR boys in the minivan, I padded the handle in paper towel and we went on our way. Trip seemed to take FOREVER. I got there and the lady had no room in her fridge, it was for a friend...so we went to her friends VERY small rowhome. I got in there and was trying to repair the handle with, yes, super glue (hey desperate times call for desperate measures, the cake was for a kid!). The super glue really wasn't working and I had grabbed some pale pink royal (for another cake) while going out the door, so tried to patch some of that while propping it up with a wad of paper towel. The lady was gracious about it...the mom wasn't home though...we put it in the fridge hoping that by the next day the handle would make it to the party. Not sure if it did or not. I did give $20 back, as well as the already undercharged cake and undercharged delivery. *sigh* Then had to take the kids out to eat, didn't get home until 9pm and still had more stuff to get done.

Then I did a fairy cake which turned out decent except the royal icing pixie dust on top started flaking off the wire...and I had the worst time with those wires anyway, making those silly fairies look "suspended".

Then did a ballerina cake. Had some issues with color coordination but sort of tied it all together (although made the inside of the slippers red which looked real dumb). I did a cute figurine and everything. Then put it away and checked the email and realized the lady wanted things sticking up on the cake on wires...she said slippers, bows, flowers sticking up. I remember thinking that would be hard to make cute but she mentioned a 3D ballerina and slippers so I made those, and then forgot to try to figure out the wire part. OOPS. The cake turned out cute, just I don't think its what she had in mind. Not sure if she liked it or not, her hub picked it up early this am after a night shift so he just got it and left.

Anyway sorry so long...just a stressful cake weekend! I know most of you do more cakes than that, but for me with four boys that's plenty...

Seems like with cakes it almost momentum...if you have good momentum going, all your cakes are good...but once you start messing up, WATCH OUT!!!! haha. I did just upload all the cakes I'm describing.

7 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 8

Sorry you had a bad cake weekend - I think your cakes all look fabulous !!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 8

So sorry your weekend went bad...but look on the bright side ur work is amazing. I looked in your album and I have the brown LV purse saved to my favs as well as the multi-colored one. Do u mind sharing what size pan you used for the Brown LV?

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 8

I just looked at your photos icon_confused.gif ...if that's what you call a bad weekend then on a good weekend you must be ***spectacular** icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gifthumbs_up.gif !!! Wow, your ballerina cake is gorgeous and your Disney faires cake is way, way cute thumbs_up.gif . I like the purse cake too. They're all marvelous icon_biggrin.gif . I know it must have seemed a horrible weekend when you were going through it, but your work is amazing icon_biggrin.gif .

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 8

I can relate on the bad day thing. Here's a dumb question, How do you do your LV's on your purses???

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much guys! But a purse cake isn't so great if the handle is totally broken off! icon_cry.gif

The LV is done using food marker, or small paintbrush and gold luster paint.

And I haven't heard if the ballerina lady liked her "revised" cake....

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:55am
post #7 of 8

Bad cake weekend???? The cakes are gorgeous!!! Awesome work indeed. Please stop undercharging, your work is worth way more!

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #8 of 8

I'm sorry that all of this was happening at the same time. I know how upset you can get with your self when you under quote and when you feel like you have to give some money back. Hope you have much better cake weekends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%