How Do You Put Lights On A Cake?

Business By babycakes0022 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm by cfao

babycakes0022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes0022 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a customer in October who wants roses on her wedding cake that light up. She gave me a picture of the exact cake that she wants (she saw it at a bridal show) and I attached it below, hope it worked. Does anyone out there know how to do this or have any tips they can give me? I would really appreciate any help I get.
LL

6 replies
nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7

I have never done this and am only taking a stab in the dark and may be way off my rocker, but what about those battery operated christmas lights. You will have to consider how the heat will effect the flower if you use bc, ri, fondant or gumpaste.
Mary

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

I can't really tell if there are little LED lights in each rose or if they are actually 'light up' roses. I googled a little and see that the little LED lights are pretty common. Be sure to investigate those though because it looks like the flowers may increase you bottom line.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 7

There is a website called www.glitterbuglights.com which sells lots of LED items, including LED earrings. I saw them used on a cake last week on Ace of Cakes. Not too expensive at $5 per pair, but the price could be added to the cake after you decide how many you need. Just make sure that the client knows not to eat the roses. icon_smile.gif

Here's the link to the earrings: http://store.glitterbuglights.com/auto/detailview.php?id1=131868&id2=1803563&id3=YES&id4=GlitterbugLights.com

Tell the guy you talk to that SugarFrosted recommended his site. He might even have a better recommendation to use to light your roses.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:20am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

There is a website called www.glitterbuglights.com which sells lots of LED items, including LED earrings. I saw them used on a cake last week on Ace of Cakes. Not too expensive at $5 per pair, but the price could be added to the cake after you decide how many you need. Just make sure that the client knows not to eat the roses. icon_smile.gif

Here's the link to the earrings: http://store.glitterbuglights.com/auto/detailview.php?id1=131868&id2=1803563&id3=YES&id4=GlitterbugLights.com

Tell the guy you talk to that SugarFrosted recommended his site. He might even have a better recommendation to use to light your roses.

That is a cool web site! Did you see the scrolling license plate? Can you image..."Sorry I am going slow, I got a wedding cake on board!"

Anyway, back to the original message...you can buy gum paste flowers already luminated...as well as I have used those little itty bitty lights you see at Michaels and christmas shops..it doesnt have the big bulk battery pack that some of the christmas lights have.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:30am
post #6 of 7

loved the faucet light-neat website!

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 7

the Ace of Cakes episode last night had a navy blue wedding cake with "stars" on it where Duff used those same earrings that light up. They were joking that after they were used on the cake they could by worn by the bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%