Anyone Have Tips To Keep Kids Shoes Tied

Lounge By mrsdawnwhite Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 5:20am by xstitcher

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 17

My daughter just started kindergarten and she has a horrible time keeping her shoes tied. She knows how to tie them but they seem to stay untied.. Anyone else have any ideas how to keep them tied.

Thanks

16 replies
ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 17

Double knots. Seems to work all the time.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 17

These work wonders! I had them when I was little!

http://www.swankyblooms.com/bowbiters1.html

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 17

I bought 1/4 inch elastic and some pony beads and wove the elastic through the holes for the shoelaces, with the beads strung on the elastic for a decoration. Then I pinned it together with a safety pin while she checked to see if she could slip the shoes on. Once we had it adjusted just right, I sewed the elastic together in a spot where it wouldn't show. Then she could slip the shoes on and we didn't have to worry about them getting untied at school.

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 17

They used to make these things called Bow Biters that clipped onto the bows and helped keep them tied. Don't know if they make such a thing anymore.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 17

It could be as simple as buying different shoelaces. Some of the laces they have on shoes today are just plain slippery. I like the rounded ones that are a little stretchy. I think they call them sport laces.

But, a really simple thing to do is get the laces damp before tying them!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks to those who remembered the name "Bow Biters". I was wracking my brain while reading the original post! My kids (now 22 and 19) wore them every day. Worked great!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 17

it's called velcro. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 17

I had "Coilers" when I outgrew my Little Mermaid bow biters. They were stretchy and because they coiled, they stayed in the holes without having to be tied. They were pretty cheap and I had tons of colors. Check 'em out.

http://www.coilersplus.com/coilergifts.htm

I believe I've seen them at Walmart and Target.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:20am
post #10 of 17

Bow Biters were awesome! Unfortunately they are geared toward toddlers. If they made some geared toward older kids, they'd probably sell some.

I agree with the suggestion to try laces. Good old-fashioned cotton laces work a lot better than the slippery, synthetic ones.

Good luck.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #11 of 17

Double knots....guaranteed not to come undone, they can learn to do them themselves....and why spend MORE money and have to keep track of more stuff?????
I tie shoes every day at school...believe me....double knots!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 17

Buy cloth shoelaces, rather than nylon. Double tie her shoes at home or better yet buy velcro shoes.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Thanks to those who remembered the name "Bow Biters". I was wracking my brain while reading the original post! My kids (now 22 and 19) wore them every day. Worked great!

Ha! I was trying to remember that name too, and my kids are the same ages as yours!

But I also agree that double knots are wonderful (I even use them for myself) and different shoe laces. All great suggestions.

mexemx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mexemx Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 17

Hi, I have a kindergarten kid too, he loves his bow biters, they work perfect!

I bought them from this site, they have a lot of characters to choose from like Elmo, cookie Monster, Bob the Builder, Thomas the train, Barney and Big Bird, (those are the ones I remember).

they are less than $10 and they fit any shoe with laces. And they also sell some really unique baby gifts, like flowers made from baby clothes, sooo cute!

the site is www.swankyblooms.com

Good luck!

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 17

Cloth shoelaces, definitely. Lightly moisten the parts that aren't in the holes (you don't have to have them very wet), then tie in a double knot. They seem to stay together better. Just a thought.

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:23am
post #16 of 17

Two words.

"super glue."

Kids that age, if they got laces, they'll always find a way to be untied. Just like trying to keep their clothes clean. Put 'em in an empty room and they'll find a way to dirty their shirts.

Jasmine

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:20am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystiqueFire

Two words.

"super glue."

Kids that age, if they got laces, they'll always find a way to be untied. Just like trying to keep their clothes clean. Put 'em in an empty room and they'll find a way to dirty their shirts.

Jasmine

LMAO, sounds like my kids!!!

I usually just buy the velco ones for the kids. When you have 4 pairs of shoes to put on you just want to hurry and get out the door!!!

Even a couple of pairs of my shoes are always coming undone unless I double knot them! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%