Help Fruit Cake Too Thin!

Decorating By tytyrita Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm by CakeWhizz

tytyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tytyrita Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a three (6",9",12") tier wedding cake, all rich fruit cakes. I baked the cakes yday, but they are all too flat! a little less than 2 inches! i am used to making sponge cakes, so i filled the tin half way, leaving room for it to raise, but forgetting fruit cakes don't have any raising agent! plain flour is used..
So now i'm stuck with 3 flat cakes, even tho i will still marzipan them and later cover in fondant it will still not come up to the 4" i like my cakes to be, if there were sponge cake, i would have sandwich them together and fill with buttercream, but one can't fill fruit cake!
Does anyone have any suggestions? the ideal thing to do will be to bake the whole lot again, but that will cut into my profit and i will be left with 3 fruit cakes..
Pls help!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 7

I would just bake another layer for each tier. I think you could sandwich them together with the marzipan or something. Even some confectioner's sugar glaze on the marzipan to hold it all together. Royal--you could sandwich it together with royal.

***Or you could use the current fruit cake to crumble up in the new batter you are going to make. Y'know, like take the baby tier and test this theory. I think it would work. Twice baked cake--hey I think it would work with fruitcake. Use a nice simple syrup to reconstitute the whole thing.

I am with you--that would be a huge hit to take in the old pocketbook.

Just some fruity ideas for you.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:50am
post #3 of 7

I'm with k8memphis. Bake another layer for each of them and use a little apricot jam to sandwich the layers together. Then cover with marzipan and fondant. At least this way you won't have to cook so much.

I hope it works out for you!

tytyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tytyrita Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you K8memphis and ladyellam, i will layer the cakes, i'm happy to learn that i can sandwich with marzipan.. thanks a lot

Magnum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magnum Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 7

Thats happened to me this weekend, i baked a 6inch square fruit cake and it was pretty flat. So what i did was, i followed the recipe for a 7inch cake but still used a 6inch pan and it came out great. Really high and the sides were really straight.
With the flat cake, i'm just going to feed it rum every now and then and either use it for samples or give it away at work for christmas. hth icon_smile.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 7

a good height for fruit cake is 3 inches high, and the pans need to be almost full. I dont think you'll have any problems sandwiching them, though it may reduce the shelf life.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 7

I agree that you should bake another layer and you can either sandwich them with apricot jam which has been brought to the boil and cooled or you can use some marzipan although this will make it more like a simnel cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%