Bc Icing, How Long Will It Last Stored????

Decorating By ranbel Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm by lane52403

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 10

I have 2 gallon bags of BC icing I made for a cake this weekend that tropical storm FAY, put an end to. So, my question is, how long can it sit out without going bad? It's made from all crisco and there is no dairy products in it. It is not refrigerated either....

I am making cupcakes this week and would love to use this icing instead of tossing it....

Thanks

9 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 10

A few days (maybe up to a week) at room temp, and in the fridge for a few months... Can you put them in the fridge? That would be best..

ranbel Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 10

I made it on Wednesday and it is now Sunday, so do you think I should toss it?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 10

Crisco can go rancid just as easily as butter. Exposure to light and air can cause this. Smell it before you use it - if it has any bitter smell to it, like cooking oil gets when it is too old, then throw it away.

If you can refrigerate it for a couple of days, you would be better off. Either way, you should re-whip it before you use it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 10

What's the recipe? There are a few that can last up
to 3 months on your counter. If you have no dairy
and it's crisco, I don't see the problem.

ranbel Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 10

vixterfsu, there is no dairy products in this recipe..
Ingredients are:
Crisco
Powder sugar
water
flavoring
salt
mer powder

Do you think it's safe????

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranbel

vixterfsu, there is no dairy products in this recipe..
Ingredients are:
Crisco
Powder sugar
water
flavoring
salt
mer powder

Do you think it's safe????

It's fine, but I would go ahead & put it in the refrigerator. My cake decorating instructor said a buttercream icing that has no dairy products will stay good at room temperature for at least 2 weeks, 3 months in the refrigerator and almost indefinitely in the freezer. Now, if you leave it in the freezer for a long time you may want to thaw it and taste it to make sure it hasn't absorbed any "smells" from the freezer.

It's absolutely safe - if you throw it away that will just be a total waste of your money and time.

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

My cake decorating instructor said a buttercream icing that has no dairy products will stay good at room temperature for at least 2 weeks, 3 months in the refrigerator and almost indefinitely in the freezer.

Why is the shelf life on BC only approx. 2 weeks at room temperature if it has no dairy in it? My Crisco sits in the cupboard for months and doesn't go bad. If the BC only has water, Crisco, PS and flavorings then why would it go bad in just a couple weeks? (Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious) icon_redface.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorfan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

My cake decorating instructor said a buttercream icing that has no dairy products will stay good at room temperature for at least 2 weeks, 3 months in the refrigerator and almost indefinitely in the freezer.

Why is the shelf life on BC only approx. 2 weeks at room temperature if it has no dairy in it? My Crisco sits in the cupboard for months and doesn't go bad. If the BC only has water, Crisco, PS and flavorings then why would it go bad in just a couple weeks? (Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious) icon_redface.gif

That's a very good question, but I don't have a good answer for you icon_lol.gif
I've often wondered the same thing, but I do know that after sitting for a couple of weeks the Buttercream icing seems to start "changing". Not sure exactly how to describe it so I always stick it in either the fridge or freezer at that time. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me can give you an explanation.

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 10

My WMI instructor told us that keeping your icing, bc or royal, in a mason jar would keep it good for a very long time. Is that not correct? I don't want to be using icing that isn't good anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%