Creamsicle Cake...

Decorating By doublecz1103 Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm by indydebi

doublecz1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doublecz1103 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:29am
post #1 of 14

so i was asked to do a creamsicle cake.. i figured i would just use my vanilla recipe, but add orange extract and orange color.. do i need orange zest too?? also does anyone have a suggestion for a frosting?? it has to be in the car for about an hour.

13 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:44am
post #2 of 14

i just added vanilla and orange extracts to the frosting i was using. it smelled heavenly and tasted really good.

good luck with your cake!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

Dreamsicle is not just "orange". It's a creamy taste combination.

A few weeks ago, I played around and came up with an icing that tastes EXACTLY like a Dreamsicle Bar. It's basically my white BC with cream cheese and orange oil added. Everyone who samples this just melts with the taste!

Dont' ask me how much to add .... just throw it together "until it tastes right".

jy_bllrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jy_bllrd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 14

Did you make a white or yellow cake and then add your filling ? Or did you make a orange flavored cake and your new filling too ??? It sounds yummy and I need a dreamsicle cake for this tuesday.

jy_bllrd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 14

My above post was for indydebi, asking about her dreamsicle cake filling icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 14

The Cake Mix Dr. book has a to die for Creamcicle cake recipe....

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 14

I second Kakeladi's comment... I made the Cake Mix Doctor's recipe with the "glaze" as the filing and the wilton buttercream with orange oil added... I never heard so many compliments on a cake before...

jy_bllrd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 14

thank you, I will have try that as I have her book.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 14

orange dreamscicle is one of my specialty flavors, and is always going out the door. cakedoctors recipe is good...i have a tendency to make things up as i go along, so i came us with this: start with a orange supreme mix, extend it, punch it up with 2 tbsp of fresh orange zest, fresh orange juice, an orange liqueor(triple sec is a good one), and some orange oil. it's really good, although my family has eaten so much of it that we're quite sick of it.

as for the icing, mix up some cream cheese icing, add in a small dash each of cheesecake flavoring and orange oil, and then add in 2tbsp of orange zest. (if using a pound of cream cheese)...let stand overnight, and then next morning, the orange zest will have really flavored the cream cheese.

if you want to see what it will look like, check out my cupcake tutorial thread just posted the other day...the white roses have this type of icing, and you'll see the small orange flecks. sorry, haven't posted it yet to my albums!

good luck.

btw: i also have purchased an orange cream flavoring, but it is veryyyyyy strong...if you use it, take care to only use "to taste".

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 14

I use DH orange cake mix and add about 1tsp pure orange extract and make a BC with pure vanilla and pure orange oil and everyone raves over it. Says this tastes just like a dreamsicle from years ago. HTH

I forgot to add instead of adding just water to the frosting I mix HOT water with the extra creamy coffee creamer and let cool, 1 cup to 1 cup it's the creaminess of the creamer with the orange that does it. Oh and don't use the whole cup unless your making a big batch.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 14

mixinvixen.. Nice tutorial, and yet another way to do them. Did you just go around and give those all away ?

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #12 of 14

thanks! we've been in the new house now for about a month and a half...the bouquets sorta got two birds with one stone. i was able to introduce myself to each of the houses on our street, they were able to taste my baking, and my business card (along with my husbands) was also included "to give them all our contact numbers". these really are the type of clients that i've been needing; money to burn, impressions to make, etc...

the bouquets proved to be super simple really. the hardest part was baking 200 cupcakes, one muffin tin at a time!! ugh!!!

i think there is one thing i would do differently though...i would purchase online (or from a florist shop) those plastic sticks that hold the card, and include those in...just for a bit more authenticity.

sorry to hijack this thread...back to our previously scheduled program!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #13 of 14

mixinvixen.. I get those card holder picks your talking about , You can get them cheap on ebay ! Thanks for the reply !

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy_bllrd

Did you make a white or yellow cake and then add your filling ? Or did you make a orange flavored cake and your new filling too ??? It sounds yummy and I need a dreamsicle cake for this tuesday.

I used white cake with the dreamsicle icing. I think the icing flavor stands out more when it's not competing with the cake flavor. I use this icing a lot on cupcakes, for lunch caterings, and it's always a BIG hit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%