Heath And Jackie-Thank You

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm by quilting2011

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:26am
post #1 of 6

HEath and Jackie

I am deaf and want to thank you so much for running this website. It helps me reach out and ask cc community any cake related questions. and non cake related (the lounge).

I have encouraged my deaf friends to join cake central because taking a hands on cake decorating class and at the same time trying to watch the ASL interpreter is difficult for me.

I appreciate it so much again for running this website.

5 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:57am
post #2 of 6

diva -

I'm sitting here, reading your comment about trying to watch an instructor and the interpreter at the same time.

I know someone is going to say I'm mean, but if you keep reading, you will find that I am not.

At first, I have to laugh, because the thought of your head bouncing back and forth, trying to grasp it all, reminds me of watching a tennis match at high speed.

This is a point which I have made to people in the past, with no luck. People who hear thing that all you have to do is provide the interpreter. Nope, you have to provide the interpreter and enough time to take in the visuals.

I have family and friends who are hearing-impaired, so I have seen the frustration which you have experienced, first hand. Fortunately, they all read lips, so I was able to explain things to them later on.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:18am
post #3 of 6

Wow...you know, I never thought of this! THank you both for bringing this to all of our attn..............I would have never thought about how difficult that would be..............
That makes me think, are there computer programs that can provide close captioning in instructional videos/dvds that don't have it already?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

If not, it's a good idea. That way, even if something is missed, you can re-play it to catch both the visual and the words.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

steph95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph95 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 6

bundtdiva~
It is nice to have a forum from where anyone, nomatter where they are or what issues they have, can learn. It's nice to hear another's angle on cake decorating, whether it's that you're deaf and class instruction is difficult to arthritis and you move slower. A forum like this gives everyone an appreciation to ALL varying levels of cake decorating.

I, too thank Heath and Jackie for their hard work on this wonderful site.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

I take cake classes at culinary schools in NY for fun. I let the school know and I also try to introduce myselt to the chef or pastry teacher at least a month a ahead that I will be brining an ASL interpreter. I can read lips but I need an intrepreter to catch phrases or ideas I did not understand. I always let the culinatry teacher know never to slow down his lecture for me and I try to sit in wear I will no distract the teacher.

Every cake decorating teacher I enrolled was considerate and accomodating to allow me to have an interperter.

There has been one class where I did not have an interpreter and I had to watch the class. After the class the pastry chef was so kind to spend an hour of his own time after school to show me how to work with pulled sugar. If I had a question, I would write it down in paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%