Cake Dummy Question ~

Decorating By kellertur Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm by karateka

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

Here's my question: Did any of you practice making wedding cakes before hand? And did you use cake dummy's or make actual cakes? (can you reuse cake dummy's ?) I feel like a dummy asking this question... icon_redface.gif

I've only done 2 wedding cakes, next week will be my third... BUT I would like to keep practicing techniques and have limited space in my fridge/freezer to accomodate cake that I have no intention of eating. That's a lot of cake (I don't eat it anyway) and I think I would feel weird going to a stranger and handing them a "wedding" cake just to get rid of it. I've donated cakes, but a wedding cake??? How does one handle this?

Thanks and sorry to ramble... icon_smile.gif

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:23am
post #2 of 6

Yes, I've practiced on dummy's. They are re-usable. I just pop mine in the dishwasher. Come out clean!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:42am
post #3 of 6

I use dummies to practice all the time. I just did a practice cake of gel flowers that I put on the cake free hand..so need to practice that! LOL
I cover my dummies with plastic first

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Yes, I've practiced on dummy's. They are re-usable. I just pop mine in the dishwasher. Come out clean!

Did you do anything to your dummy first to make it "dishwasher safe"??? Do you use just a plain old styrofoam dummy?? VERY interested in this! I assumed that the styrofoam wouldn't hold up through a dishwasher cycle and I HATE to handwash stuff so I haven't used my dummies yet. If I knew they would survive the dishwasher, I just might get those bad boys out and start using them. lol Thanks so much!

Teresa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 6

When I first got started, I never made a practice cake ... I'd actually never heard of doing that.

I use BC directly on my styro's. When I want to change it, I just run a knife under the hardened icing and it pops right off. I wipe down with a damp rag and it's ready to go again. (my styro's would never fit in my home dishwasher and since I know they can just be wiped down, I see no need to run them thru my comm'l dishwasher.)

Styro's are a great tool to practice new techniques on. When you're finished, take a pic for your file, then scrape it off and do another. thumbs_up.gif

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 6

Yep, just pop them right in my home dishwasher! Easy peasy. Once one of them had some fondant still left on it, but I ran it through another cycle when I had some dishes to wash, and voila!! All clean. I learned that from B. Keith Ryder, at one of his classes. Best tip ever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%