My Foray At The Farmers Market!

Business By Tellis12 Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm by covered-in-sugar

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 12

Well, I did it. I finally got all of my baking done and my papers in and went to our local farmers market. I've never done it before and wanted to try to get my name out there and make some money. My husband says it went well; I think it could have gone better. I didn't sell very many things but I gave out a ton of cards and a lot of people sounded really interested. I had a couple people ask me about baking for coffee shops and catering companies so who knows what will happen. Here are some photos of the things I made and what our table looked like. It was so hot (95) and we had to keep rotating everything out of the sun and into coolers.
LL
LL
LL

11 replies
CreativeGirl220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGirl220 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 12

Thats cool what you did, I'm trying to do that too. I live in GA so it might be different but what were the requirements for you in the papers you had to turn in?

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 12

congrats! super cute cookies! hey I love those cupcake holders, where'd ya find 'em? and were those petitfours or samples beside the cake?

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:09am
post #4 of 12

Well, good for you! Everything looks beautiful and yummy!

Are those cupcakes in a plastic cup? Does it have a lid? Just curious, because that is a really good idea! I am planning a surprise party for my husband in a few weeks, and thought about making cupcakes. I just couldn't think of a way to keep the cupcakes covered without squishing the icing.....? It will be hot here in TX and it's a pool party. Anyway, great idea for cupcakes staying covered for outdoor parties! Thanks!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 12

Your cookies and cupcakes looked wonderful! So colorful and cheery.

Okay, don't get mad, but I did craft shows for many years, and I know presentation is everything too. Try using a tablecloth or something to accent the product. Your table looked a bit plain to me. You have a wonderful product but you need a bit more 'grab' to your table.
Don't be angry....just trying to help out.

Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:03am
post #6 of 12

Hey Vickymacd, I'm not upset at all. I agree that our table could have used some better aesthetics, but by the time I was done baking I had totally forgotten about that and had run out of money! But it's something I will keep in mind for the future, for sure.

The paperwork I turned in was an application that I just gave them when I got there and a copy of my liability insurance (I had to have at least a $2 mil policy).

The cupcake holders were an awesome idea of my husbands. We went to a GFS that is open to the public and he found these sundae containers. The bottoms are smaller than their tops so they hold the cupcake in place without the icing touching the sides. I just put regular lids on them. They worked awesome. I'd like to figure out a way to make them a little prettier but I'd definitely recommend getting them for cupcake storage.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 10:08am
post #7 of 12

the sundae cups are a wonderful idea. but will they need a spoon to eat it?

your cookies and cupcakes look really good. i love the colors you've chosen, very pretty.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 12

you could try looking for a tiered type stand to hold some of your cookies (i found a great one at home outfitters-don't know if you have one it's like peir one or ikea only a little less expensive) definately a tablecloth and i love your sign. i did a small craft/bake sale and the cookies though they got a lot of "how cute" didn't sell very well (maybe just over my table cost) i was very dissappointed but like you said i got my name out there...cookies freeze well so don't give up icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 12

Tellis -

Are those the sundae containers which look like throw-away Old-Fashioned cocktail glasses? Would you post a pic of them and the lids, so I could see what they look like?

We don't have a GFS around here, but if I take the pic to my restaurant supply store, they will get them if they don't have them in stock.

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 12

I'm not sure if they're like the old fashioned cocktail glasses.
LL

Tellis12 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 12

I forgot to add this picture.
LL

covered-in-sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
covered-in-sugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 12

Such a clever idea! Thanks for posting close-ups of the holders! icon_smile.gif

What icing recipe did you use to hold up against the heat? Or, if you would rather give a few tips...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%