Please Say A Prayer

Decorating By yvy_cano Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm by sueco

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 18

Yesterday I got a call from my sis (today is her 33 birthday) and she tells me Guess what Im getting for my birthday, I said what? She tells me a new kidney! She said she got a call from NY Presbeterian Hospital telling her to come in and that the surgery would take place as soon as the Kidney arrived from Nort Carolina. She has been needing one for 4 years now, has been on hemo dialysis and practically lives in the hospital. I was in the process of testing to be her donor, on Monday they took 17 tubes of blood in 1 day for the testing!!!!!!! icon_sad.gif Needless to say my arms were sore but she has gone through so much more that wasnt really anything. I live in FL, she lives in NY. I wanted to be there, so I leave work a nervous wreck to run home, purchased a ticket packed and was in the airport within 2 hours. Got into NY a lil before 8pm. I was so nervous that I wasnt going to get a chance to hug my sister or give her a kiss before she went in for surgery. But as soon as I get there, they were prepping her and I got to spend a little time with her icon_smile.gif. She went through the 5 hour surgery, I was so nervous I couldnt sleep. She is now in recovery and we are only allowed to see her 5 min every 2 hours. I was the 1st allowed to go in with my mom. She was in so much pain and could barely talk but she said to my mom "Mommy it hurts but I am so happy. This is the best birthday present I could ever ask for." I wanted to cry but didnt want her to see me cry. Now we have to wait to see if they kidney comes out of shock and start working and to see if her body doesnt reject it. Because of her fragile health, she will be in intensive care for a while. She is the strongest and most positive person I will ever know. Please say a prayer for her and keep her in thoughts. Oh and she is a member of CC, so if you would like to send her best wishes, her id is jenncano. Thank you!

17 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 18

That is such great news! I hope everything works out fine!

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 18

That IS the best birthday present! So happy for her. Sending out good thoughts and prayers that her recovery will be quick.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 18

Oh Honey! I will most definitely say a prayer for her AND your family!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 18

I said a prayer for your sister, your family, and for the family of the donor. I hope your sister lives a long and happy life.

I never thought much about organ donation, I guess many of us don't. I was in my late teens when a very beloved uncle recieved his heart transplant and it changed my life. We were given so many more years with him and he was able to affect so many more lives because someone else was so generous. I am an organ donor, and I hope that when my time comes if there is anything of use icon_lol.gif That someone else benefit from it.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 18

I'm praying!

Lu

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 18

my best wishes to your sister and your whole family.

Bless the wonderful donor and thank you NEWTODECORATING for being a registered organ donor. I work in this field and wish everyone would understand the need.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 18

yvy_cano,

I will pray for your sister's complete recovery. I pray you will have many more years together. I lost my sister 2 years ago. She had been on dialysis but wasn't a candidate for a transplant due to other problems. I have 3 other sisters but still miss the one that is gone. When she is recovered spend as much time as you can with her making memories. I will pray God gives you all strength during her recovery.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 18

Good luck to your family and tell your sis Happy Birthday. I hope everything goes well and I know right now is nail bitting time until things start working like they should. My cousin just gave her brother one of her kidneys last year (this was his 3rd transplant since birth. He's now 33.)

I'm so happy for your family. Saying a little prayer for you all.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 18

God's speed!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 18

Prayers going up for our Loving God to use this wonderful gift to completely heal her.

yvy_cano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvy_cano Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #12 of 18

Thank you so much everyone for your prayers! She looks so much better today, much better than she has been in a VERY LONG time. Its amazing how quickly she is getting better. She had only one treatment of dialysis since her surgery on Sat and the kidney has started functioning icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif She is so happy. She said today "what am I going to do with my time, I dedicate 3 hours a day to dialysis". icon_smile.gif I said now you can have enjoyable you time! AND even better her transplant surgeon said that in about 6 months, she will undergo a pancreas transplant to get rid of the diabetes. icon_biggrin.gif I didnt even know that kind of surgery existed, she has had diabetes for 25 years. I cant wait for that day, she doesn't know what it is to wake up and not feel sick. Its always something, her blood sugar, her blood pressure, the mirgraines, vomiting, weakness, something... God has given the gift of life, and we are all thankful for this. We do not know who the donor's family is, we would love to say thank you for giving us all the gift of life but the dr said that information is not released. So all we can do is pray for the family and thank them through our prayers.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #13 of 18

You couldn't ask for a better birthday present! I'm so happy to hear she is doing better and will pray that she gets her pancreatic transplant as well!

Prayers to you, your sister, your family and the donor/donor's family and thanks be to God!!!

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:00am
post #14 of 18

You and your family are in my prayers and so are the donor's family for their selfless gift.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #15 of 18

she's definitely in my prayers!

my husband has had two of his siblings that have received heart transplants...his brother passed while waiting for his second heart. my husband also has to take medicine every day for the rest of his life to keep his heart ejection fraction from getting too low, which would result in him needing a transplant.

when my brother died in the line of duty, he was currently on a waiting list for a double corneal transplant.

we know your pain, and we know your joy!!

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:13am
post #16 of 18

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:33pm
post #17 of 18

Praise God! I am so glad you updated us with good news. We so much misery in this world, we know God is still on the thrown. Our continued prayers for both your family and the donor's. Please let us know when her next transplant comes up.

sueco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sueco Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #18 of 18

That is great news that your sister is doing so much better! Definitely let us know when her next transplant will be taking place. With regards to the donor's family, I don't know what the rules are where your sister lives, but I believe that in some places after a year you can contact the donor family if they say that it is okay to contact them. I think that it could be a way to have productive closure on both sides. Your sister gets to meet the people her wonderful donor was related to, and they get to see the wonderful person who received their loved ones kidney. Best wishes to your sister.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%