My Baptism Cake Is Done, So Many Lessons Learned

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm by Bellatheball

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

Thanks to all who helped me with this. The cake didn't end up as clean looking as I'd have liked but I learned a ton of lessons.

My original thought was to do the top tier in white fondant. I asked if I could do this over a chocolate buttercream crumb coat. I planned on a thick layer of fondant but didn't realize how much I needed to use a crusting buttercream. There was chocolate everywhere. What a royal mess! I decided to redo it in blue which worked a bit better.

I also put the polka dots on and thought I could clean up the bottom edge with buttercream. As it turned out, there was a bigger gap than I expected between the two layers so I decided to do a ribbon to cover it. It looks terrible over the polka dots as the two layers of fondant look bumpy.

Eh, maybe I'm not so happy with this cake afterall! LOL icon_biggrin.gif It should taste good though. The top layer is a chocolate blackout cake with peanutbutter filling and chocolate buttercream. The bottom is a yellow cake torted to four layers with apricot and raspberry fillings. icon_smile.gif
LL

6 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Bella! Well, don't we all learn something with each cake we do. Even after years of practice we can still get a "devil cake" that won't co-operate. (Sometimes I give them a good TALKING to!)

Your cake is lovely. And you should be proud. The colours are soft and appealing and the design is funky but sweet - gets the message across!

Take a big breath and enjoy the fact it is a job well done.

A.

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 7

Lesson Learned. Thanks for sharing your experience. I do love the soft color combo, it is a cute cake.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

I think you did a pretty good job on your cake.
Don't feel bad as I like the way you put it together.
It all seems to blend with one another. thumbs_up.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 7

I think it turned out beautiful for all that you went through to get it to the finish line. And it sounds yummy and delightful! Great job! icon_smile.gif

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #6 of 7

it turned out soo great!!! They always do somehow in the end no matter how much trouble we may have!!! icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%