Hare Krishna Wedding Cake-Help

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm by Ohara

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 13

My first wedding cake I have been asked to make a wedding cake for a couple getting married at a Hare Krishna Temple. I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for vegan fondant. If not, can anyone recommend a good vegan wedding cake recipe. Thank.s

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 13

One of Debbie Brown's books has a fondant recipe that doesn't have gelatine in it. I'll see if I can find it for you. If you search in Google for vegan cake recipes, you'll get loads of them, but they are very different in texture to 'normal' cake usually.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 13

OK, Debbie's contains egg whites, so that's out! I have, however found this vegan fondant for you icon_smile.gif:

Rolled Fondant

1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons agar agar flakes
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup Glucose/light corn syrup
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon Glycerin
6-8 cups sifted confectioner's sugar (about 2 lbs.) --
Icing color and flavoring, as desired

Combine agar flakes and cold water; let stand until thick. Place mixture on stove and boil 5 minutes, or until dissolved. Remove from stove add glucose and shortening, and mix until shortening dissolves. Add glycerin, flavoring and color. Cool until lukewarm (should happen pretty quickly). Next, place 4 cups confectioner's sugar in a bowl and make a well. Pour the lukewarm agar mixture into the well and stir with a wooden spoon, mixing in sugar and adding more, a little at a time, until stickiness disappears. Knead in remaining sugar. Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. If fondant is too soft, add more sugar; if too stiff, add water (a drop at a time). Use fondant immediately or store in airtight container in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate or freeze. When ready to use, knead again until soft.

This recipe makes approx. 36 oz., enough to cover a 10 x 4 in. high cake.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 13

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!

I just read on a vegan forum that good ol' Satin Ice is vegan (so is Wilton, but we'll ignore that suggestion lol!). Problem solved I think, yes?

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 13

Thank you bonjovibabe -- I'd been looking for a vegan fondant too.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 13

Will you be decorating the cake in Hindu fashion, also?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #7 of 13

Satin ice is Kosher Pareve, but does that make it vegan? How far do these particular ppl need to go with this? Even sugar is processed with animal bones in some way, so I know thats out for some ppl.

quilting2011 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #8 of 13

The couple is 100% pure vegan so we made a fruit torte cake instead. They loved it.

One the hare krishna guests mentioned their sister (who is not a hara Krishna) took cake classes with a famous cake decorater known for HIndu style/Henna designs at a cake convention. Does anyone know of this instructor? I would like to classes with this teacher to learn Mehdi/Henna designs?

Thanks for the vegan fondant recipe.

I don't think I will bake a vegan cake. Too many things to worry about.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

One the hare krishna guests mentioned their sister (who is not a hara Krishna) took cake classes with a famous cake decorater known for HIndu style/Henna designs at a cake convention. Does anyone know of this instructor?

It was Norm Davis from VA at the ICES convention in Orlando this year. His website is www.thesweetlife.com He is the sweetest!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:02am
post #10 of 13

Well, if you do decide to try someday, I hear Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World is a great book.

quilting2011 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:15am
post #11 of 13

Hi Nef-

Thanks for the website. If he teacher at cakes conventions I will try to take a class from the instructor you recommended Mr.Davis. The website has lovely henna designs. I hope to take a class from Mr. Davis. I guess I will have to check his websites when he will be offering classes.

Nef-thanks again

quilting2011 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:20am
post #12 of 13

Biz-

Thanks for the tip. I am not a vegan but I think I may purchase the vegan cupcakes book.-- The recipes will be great for baking cupcakes

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:42pm
post #13 of 13

You might want to pm K2cakes. She is vegan and has been working on a vegan mmf. Here's the link
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6056294-.html#6056294

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%