Good Fondant Flavors - Need Help

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm by tracey1970

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 16

Hello all, just wondering what are some good fondant flavors that you've all used and had success with. I'm doing a baby shower cake (3 layers: 2 chocolate, 1 white) and wondered what would be a good flavor to go with it.

15 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 16

Most fondant is just vanilla and that goes with everything. I only use Satin Ice.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Most fondant is just vanilla and that goes with everything. I only use Satin Ice.

Ditto leahs
Remember fondant is placed over icing, it's not in place of icing. So the flavor of your icing under the fondant will also be discernable. some people even peel it off and eat the cake and icing. That's why fondant is usually vanilla, goes with everything.

Jibbies

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 16

Have you tried the Satin Ice. I use it also ....It's has a great flavor that seems to go with every cake, no need to flavor. And the smell in incredible. Sometimes adding another flavor is over powering even in a BC icing.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 16

I love Satin Ice too, and although it's unlikely to be used on a wedding cake, their brown colored fondant is chocolate flavored (it's the only other flavor they offer besides vanilla). Satin Ice tastes great.

korid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korid Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 16

I only use Fondarific. I use the buttercream flavor and it is amazing. It is very easy to work with and does not dry out like all the others! They carry different colors and flavors. Hope that helps!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #7 of 16

tracey1970 - why wouldnt you personlly use Satin Ice on a wedding cake?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 16

Are you looking for homemade fondant or store bought? Because if you are looking for homemade I looove LaWanda's White chocolate fondant which is basically Michele Foster's fondant but add 6oz chopped good white choc. and instead of milk use flavored coffee creamer, I use white chocolate hazelnut flavor icon_razz.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:51am
post #9 of 16

I think Tracy was saying that brown fondant isn't as likely to be used on a wedding cake.

terrylee Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:03am
post #10 of 16

I have done a complete cake in chocolate fondant.....it was the most elegant cake I've done. I used the Pettinice (spelling?) chocolate...taste like tootsie roll/choc mixture..... look at my pics.....choc on a pink bed of roses....

korid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korid Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:26am
post #11 of 16

When I have used Satin Ice on any type of cake (including Wedding) everyone always peels it off the cake and they say it taste bad. Personally I do not like the flavor of it. But when I use Fondarific they eat it up and can not believe it is fondant. I think it is so much easier to work with than Satin Ice (for me anyways) and the taste is amazing. I also LOVE the taste of buttercream (which is one of the many flavors).

terrylee Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:24am
post #12 of 16

You know - I like to use Satin Ice because it works well and you can put together a showy cake. I understand and agree that some people do peel it off. I just wonder if they are so used to Wilton fondant they don't even try it. But you would think the aroma of Satin Ice it's self would give that away......

So it really depends on the look that you are going for.

It doesn't hurt my feeling if someone peels off the fondant......as long as they eat the cake.....that means the cake underneth is moist and tasty. There is always a coating of icing and filling.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 16

I love Satin Ice. My last 3 tiered wedding cake was fully covered in it. It turned out so well the photographer was shocked (this town isnt used to fondant - good for me!) at how I did the cake and he sent me a picture collage for free!
I've never tried fondarific and I have never made 'LaWanda's White chocolate fondant' I will have to try them.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:29pm
post #14 of 16

I've never bought fondant so I can't speak for satin ice, fondarific or the other brands. I have made the MMF, Michele Foster's Fondant, and LaWanda's White Chocolate Fondant recipes. My personal opinion was that I'm not a big fan of MMF. It was very sweet and didn't have as rich of a flavor as the others. I liked Michele's fondant and LaWanda's fondant. Their recipes are similar, as raquel1 mentioned, and they both have a very good flavor. I'm not sure if the chocolate had anything to do with it or not......but LaWanda's seemed a little easier for me to work with. I've heard you can also add chocolate to Michele's fondant.....I haven't tried her recipe with the added chocolate yet. I'm sure I'd like it though.
Everyone has their favorite fondant for different reasons. This is JMO. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
I think a lot of people just don't like the texture of fondant and there's not much you can do to change that. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxphire1

Hello all, just wondering what are some good fondant flavors that you've all used and had success with. I'm doing a baby shower cake (3 layers: 2 chocolate, 1 white) and wondered what would be a good flavor to go with it.

I have made MMF and used a mix of vanilla, butter and cream bouque and it was not left on any plates not even the adults... thumbs_up.gif I also add salt to balance the sweet.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:38pm
post #16 of 16

Sorry - I've been away for a few days. Yes, leahs is correct. I meant that you would probably be unlikely to use brown/chocolate fondant on a wedding cake as most people like a white/ivory cake for weddings. It's just another option for flavours besides the vanilla (without adding your own flavours, of course). I did two cakes just today (that wil be stacked) with white Satin Ice. I love using it, and I like the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%