So Many Sprinkles....

Decorating By kimblyd Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm by PollyMaggs

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 12

Okay, this may be a silly question, but I am going to ask anyway...

I want to make my own Funfetti cake using Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix. If I remember correctly the only actual mix called Funfetti is made by Pillsbury and it has a small package of jimmies in it to add to the mix. My question is-does it matter what kind of sprinkles I use?

For clarification, below are my categories of "sprinkles" icon_lol.gif
Jimmies-oblong shaped (usually have some brown ones in there)
Wilton Jumbo-large, flat round (usually pastel colored)
Wilton regular-small, flat round (usually primary colored)
Regular-tiny, hard round balls (all primary colors, lots of white)

Thanks!

Kim

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 12

From your list I'd say all but the last one is acceptable for what you want to do.

kimblyd Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 12

Thanks Kakeladi! I don't have time to experiment for myself.

Are the round hard sprinkles not good because they don't melt into the batter?

By the way, you are living my vacation/retirement dream.....I am so envious!
Where are you now?

Kim

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 12

I don't really know but didn't read that one fully before answering......then later when I re read it I realized it's not the dragees you were talking about icon_smile.gif I now think what you are refering to are called 'sprinkles' or 'shot' and that probably would work but I don't think they will show up in the batter very well.

Keep dreaming hon......it's not the wonderful thing you might think icon_smile.gif I spend about 5 months of the yr in the higest peaks of Sequoia Nat'l Forrest (central CA) watching for fires. DH & I live in a 33 ft 5th-wheel trailer, at 8,200 ft elevation. The lookout tower is about 7 miles away at 9,400'. It's *very* tight quarters (both the trailer & the tower) and no one around to talk to except the bears!

kimblyd Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 12

Oh. icon_surprised.gif

I thought you were just riding around being a tourist, lah lah lah...

I think I will be just happy in my stationary home and fly to Disneyworld every year or so! icon_lol.gif

I really do think it would be cool to travel across the US and try to see every state. It would probably be very interesting.

Thanks for answering. Not sure what I am going to use for the cake. Probably just the regular jimmies.

Kim

cakes_are_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_are_fun Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

Not sure what I am going to use for the cake. Probably just the regular jimmies.

That's my vote!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 12

I'd be afraid the wilton jumbo ones wouldn't dissolve during the baking process and you would have little hard pieces throughout.

Judi

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 12

Just an FYI When Pillsbury first introduced the "Funfetti" cake mix it did indeed have a separate pack of sprinkles that you added. However now the sprinkles are already mixed in. I used to buy the funfetti and just not put the sprinkles in, especially if they didn't have enough regular white mix. So a few months ago I needed 1 more box of white than what they had so I got a box of the funfetti, when I opened it up imagine my disappointment!

Jibbies

kimblyd Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, that's what I wanted to avoid....but I want my "colors" to be round instead of oblong in the cake. Does that make sense? icon_confused.gif

Does it even matter what shape the sprinke is before baking?

I am clueless and just wondered what others have used with success. I have a whole bin of sprinkles-sparkling sugars, jimmies, large flat Wilton, jumbo hard round Wilton, etc, etc.

I know you can use all of those on the outside of the cake, but thought it would be cool and different to put them inside the cake as well, for kids' cakes. I probably just need to experiment one day and find out what works.

Thanks to all who responded! icon_biggrin.gif

sug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sug78 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 12

Ive always used jimmies when people want a "funfetti" cake. They melt nicely and you can buy them in any color.

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 12

I think when the sprinkles go in they do as they please...I could be wrong though! I don't think that using a different shape would matter a whole lot! But I am no expert! You would think there would be a round "Jimmie" around somewhere! I would be afraid that the Wilton ones wouldn't melt either! The little balls I would think would do the same as the jimmies but they are so small I don't know if you would get the effect that you are going for. Good Luck Sorry I am not much help!

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #12 of 12

I remember making an anglefood cake when I was a kid using the little round colored sprinkles in it (put in last just befor putting batter in the pan) and had dots of color through out the cake.I was about 12 so that was along long time ago...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%