Sugarshack's Stacking Method

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 5:26am by 2muchsugar

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 12

I have been told that for stacking a 4 tier cake, it is best to use the single plate support system but seems pricey and would have to ordered online.

I've been decorating cakes for 2 years now, but have my very first wedding cake next month and was thinking about investing on the sugarshack videos. I have one question for those of you who already own it.
What is her stacking method? that she shows in the video?Straws, sp system or dowels? on her video which one seems easiest?
I'm asking cause I need to know if I need order any supplies before I get the stacking video. I'm getting the stacking and buttercream video.

Thank you for any help I get.
me

11 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 12

I have her stacking video and just love it. In the video she uses the straws on each layer with 2 dowels running down in the cake. The first covers 3 layers and is off center then the last is thru all the tiers and is down the middle....she mentions that it lets them work against each other to give it more stablility.......I really would invest in her video I just love it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 12

I have all of her DVDs and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, I use the sps instead of the straws when stacking. I just personally think it's a better support system and after having problems with dowels I just don't trust the straws. JMO

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 12

I just got her stacking dvd. I am going to try out her techniques on my next wedding cake. She uses 1/2 inch foam core boards, which are kind of expensive, especially if you're used to just using cardboard circles (like me!). But it really gives added height to the tiers and she says it provides stability. There is a list of supplies you'll need to buy in an insert that comes w/ the dvd. You should get it if you've ever had issues w/ stacking.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much from what I hear, it will be the best $60 ever spent!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 12

I was a little concerned about the straws at first also. but I've done two wedding cakes with them (one four tiered, one three tiered). We tried putting a lot of pressure on the straws (before they were in the cake) and felt really comfortable. She also uses quite a few (12-15 for a bottom layer, I think)
I didn't use the dowels because I put them together on site (not that brave yet!), but her whole system of stacking is great. With the straws she shows you how you can slowly lower your tier into place. That was so great instead of just plopping in on and hoping for the best.

Her DVDS are awesome!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12

I don't doubt it's a great dvd - I have the buttercream and fondant ones and LOVE them!

I use the SPS system on anything over two tiers. It's inexpensive, disposable, or re-usable if returned and washed. For two tiers I use straws. Look up CC member Leahs for more info on the SPS. It's plastic, not to be confused w/ the stainless steel (great product but mucho expensive) one.

I use butter in my bc, then refrigerate and think that those two things help as well. The butter helps the bc get firm and stay that way for transport!

Good luck whatever you decide!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the nice words guys!

I use straws in the DVD. BUT remember the techniques I show can be used with any system you choose and prefer: wooden dowels, plates and pillars, stress frees.....

you may have to make slight modifications, but then again, you may not, depending upon the method/system you choose.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 12

It wil definately be the best $60 you have ever spent!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 12

Although, I have not yet done everything she suggest in the video, I have done a couple cakes with the bubble straws with success. Just to note these dvds are 26.00 each. Very much worth the money.

crafty_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty_mom Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:51am
post #11 of 12

I just ordered all three yesterday! icon_razz.gif Can't wait till they come in. I'm taking on my first stacking project in a couple weeks for my son's bday. Still, I want it to look good for him (and everyone else that sees it) hehe.
Thanks to all who recommended these. thumbs_up.gif

Jen

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 5:26am
post #12 of 12

Sharon's DVDs are very good! I took a cruise with my family and friends when she released her fondant DVD and I watched the DVD while my family and friends went on shore excursions... The DVDs are that good! You'll love Sharon's stacking DVD.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%