Satin Ribbon On Buttercream Icing

Decorating By nesweetcake Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm by jammjenks

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 9

I know it can be done, but does someone know the exact way to prevent the ribbon from getting grease spots. I believe it was iron wax paper on it but what are the exact steps, how do you not get wax on your iron or is there another method someone suggests. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 9

Here's an easy method: Spray the ribbon with Pam! Getting it greasy first takes away any threat of spots. It only darkens it slightly and you wouldn't know it had been done. Try a sample first icon_smile.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 9

Macsmom thanks for the tip I was wondering the same thing. I will need to apply burgundy ribbon to a white buttercream cake. I am wondering about one thing, how do you keep the ends of the ribbon stuck on the cake? or does it do that on its own? I'm also wondering if you attach the ribbon after stacking cakes? Myguess is to stack and then put the ribbon on.right?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 9

I line the back of the ribbon with clear tape and the tape touches the cake not the frosting. Otherwise the dyes from the ribbon could run when it mixes with the icing or fondant.

I would be cautious about using the Pam method.....it doesn't make the ribbon food safe like the tape or wax paper method and it could cause the ribbon to have oil spots or become darker like Macsmom stated. The important thing here is to make the ribbon food safe so that the dyes don't run, which would be toxic if consumed.

I tried the wax paper way and found it cumbersome, you have to iron on the wrong side of the waxpaper I always place a cloth in between the paper and the iron so you don't ruin your iron. The problem I've had is the wax paper doesn't adhere to all kinds of ribbon, and than you have to cut it carefully to be the width of the ribbon.

HTH, and good luck,
Deb[/center]

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #5 of 9

Darn I'm real worried now.... icon_sad.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #6 of 9

notjustcake, don't worry.....I didn't want to scare you it's just ribbon. I'm doing an ivory buttercream wedding cake in a couple of weeks with burgandy ribbon around the bottom of each tier too.

I'm just going to put the ribbon (with tape on the back) on at the venue when I set up the cake.

I've never heard of anyone being poisoned by eating a wedding cake with ribbon dye on it icon_wink.gif I really am more concerned with the ribbon bleeding into the BC and ruining the "appearance", that's why I line it.

I've already prepared the ribbon with the tape and I don't need it til the 27th. I try to do these tedious little things while I'm watching t.v. or something like that than it's out of the way.

please don't sweat it, it's really no biggy

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #7 of 9

I just did this for my first wedding cake. I too was worried about it, I sprayed with pam, wiped off the excess, and glued the ends together with royal icing. The royal icing didn't work so I fastened the ends with a corsage pin. worked great. It's the wedding cake in my fotos.

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:56am
post #8 of 9

sorry, its in my photos.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 9

I must be the odd one, but I use it to my advantage. I place the ribbon on as soon as I put the icing on and before it has crusted. The wet icing acts as a glue that just makes the ribbon stick right to it. If there is any seepage it is all over and you can't even see it. I did this one that way:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1254649

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%