Foolproof Crusting Buttercream Question

Baking By SugarLover2 Updated 24 Aug 2008 , 4:52am by Luby

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to find an icing that I like and am trying all different recipes. I'd like to try this one from the recipe files, but have a few questions.
It says 1 & 1/4 c Crisco-I'd like to use HiRatio. Do I use the same amount?
There are also some things I'm not sure where to get-Brite White, Almond Emulsion and Creme Bouquet. Can anyone help with these?

I do have one small (tiny) baking supply store nearby and a Michaels. Other than that, I have to order online for supplies.

Any tips or info would be appreciated! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:01am
post #2 of 4

Well, I can't help you with the rest but you said you were trying all different recipes, mine has easy ingredients to find and is easy to make icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 4

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

My recipe (above) doesn't use a lot of fat, like most recipes I see .... I've never had a melting problem, not even with outside weddings in 90 degree heat, and it always ALWAYS crusts well for me. It's the only recipe I've ever used for 25 years.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarLover2

I am trying to find an icing that I like and am trying all different recipes. I'd like to try this one from the recipe files, but have a few questions.
It says 1 & 1/4 c Crisco-I'd like to use HiRatio. Do I use the same amount?
There are also some things I'm not sure where to get-Brite White, Almond Emulsion and Creme Bouquet. Can anyone help with these?

I do have one small (tiny) baking supply store nearby and a Michaels. Other than that, I have to order online for supplies.

Any tips or info would be appreciated! Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

The Almond Emulsion and Creme Bouquet can be purchased online, but the Brite White is much more difficult to find. The baking supply store that carries it in my area is setting up an on-line store so if you can wait a few weeks I'll get the address for you. I've never used hi-ratio shortening, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you reduce the amount of hi-ratio, but I"m not sure how much. Sorry I couldn't be more help with the hi-ratio question.

If you are interested in order the Brite White send me a pm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%