Help With Sugar Free Cake!!!!

Decorating By Lisalou Updated 23 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm by ski

Lisalou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisalou Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:23am
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make a cake for a diabetic using Splenda in place of sugar...
it does not rise... yes I am using baking soda and baking powder... I even tried the recipe off the splenda website...

I get pancakes...ok, even flatter..... HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 4

Lisalou,

Go to the RECIPE section...see the Tab right below the CC Logo above. Find the drop down window that says ALL CATEGORIES... Click on it and scroll down to DIABETIC CAKES... There is a good diabetic icing in there too... Notice the number of stars...

You might want to wander around in there... Some really good recipes on Cake Central...chuckle icon_smile.gif

Good luck icon_smile.gif
Pat

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 4

From personal experience, any sugar substitute will cause a cake to not rise. Either make more batter, or don't make a sugar-free cake. icon_smile.gif
I am a diabetic and I don't eat sugar-free anything except jello and diet drinks.
They just aren't very good. And most of the time the carbohydrate count is as much or more than a regualr cake. And carbs are what a diabetic should be counting, not sugar.
But if that's what they requested, I'd say just double your batter mix. It makes it a little more bread like, but it still tastes okay.
Good luck.
p.s. How are you going to do the icing sugar free?

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 4

I have been playing with diabetic recipes for a little while...As for splenda, I NEVER use the Splenda white sugar, always Splenda brown. The ratio is 1/2 c. S.brown to 1 c. regular. I use Smart balance for the butter content. Everything else the same. For icing, I ALWAYS use any flavor of sugarfree pudding, all you have to do is add enough milk(I use lowfat) to get a frosting consistency. I also add the pudding to Rich's whip base. gives it a mousse consistency. Talked to the diabetic clinic and the carbs need to be below 20gr to be considered diabetic friendly in a recipe (per serving)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%