Pregnant & Need Advice!

Lounge By lecrn Updated 31 Aug 2008 , 2:39am by michellenj

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 40

My husband & I have experienced 2 yrs of infertility issues, & finally our time has come. I'm 21 wks pregnant & we're so excited & scared! It seems like we spent so much effort trying to conceive, now that it's happened I'm very overwhelmed. I have zero experience with babies!! I've bought a few books & we're going to try to take a baby care class. I'm going to register for my showers in a few weeks, & I've started looking online @ baby stuff. The problem is that I have no idea of what I need. Any advice would be much appreciated on what I need & don't need.
Thanks!

39 replies
lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 40

Diapers, diapers, diapers!!! Oh and Congratulations!
With my first I was soo concerned with keeping her so pretty, clean and always dressed, by my fourth one it was just a clean diaper, a onesie, socks and shoes was the everyday wardrobe. You will be fine, let friends and family help. You know the saying, "It takes a village.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif " thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 40

Congratulations ~ what a blessing!

As for what you need, I guess it depends on the budget you are working with. Basic necessity stuff like crib, car seat, stroller, diaper bag, etc.

If you like to combine or are dealing with small spaces, they have a couple cool items that can act as two in one. There is a play pen with a raised bottom to use when baby is really small - we used this in our room for my first daughter instead of a traditional bassinet - worked like a charm. There are also nice cribs that work into a toddler bed and then as the headboard for a twin bed. These were far out of our price range when my little ones were babies so we just used an old fashioned crib. (All my kids were like Spiderman and scaling that sucker very young - as soon as they started crawling out, I moved them into the bed.)

I also got a changing table - just basic wood (Jenny Lind, I think) and little plastic baskets and that's where 'Baby Central' was! I organized diapers, blankets, onesies, burp rags, wipes, socks, etc. That was a gem.

There are lots of extras that not everyone will use. I love, love, love the Boppi pillow - looks like a crescent moon, and when they are a bit bigger (couple of months or so) you can lay them on it on a blanket on the floor or bed and they are angled slightly so they can check everything out - but my cousin can't stand it, and she has twins! So it really is according to what you like.

As for knowing what to do for the baby, if you have family close by or access to kids, watch them. There are books to read, of course, and those can help familiarize you with all the main things but sometimes its easier to learn from a visual.

I was always a baby lover and babysat from a young age so I was aroing little kids and babies when my first was born. I had to fight my Mom off with a stick because she was dying to help out and tell me everything and I wasn't about to miss a minute, lol. I am so happy for you! It goes by far too quickly icon_smile.gif

lbass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbass Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:05am
post #4 of 40

Buy cloth diapers and use them for burp clothes. They are awesome. Don't buy newborn clothing, they will grow out of them in a week or two. My kids usually never even got to where them all (I got lots of them at the baby shower!!)

Trust me!!! You will know what to do when the baby comes. When I had my first one, I learned fast and you will too! We always say to not be so hard on ourselves when we decorate cakes, It's the same with being a mom!!!

Good Luck and Congrats!!! icon_wink.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:39am
post #5 of 40

CONGRATS! Super exciting!

I have a 7 mo old and here's what gets the most use at my house and what I recommend registering for:

~DIAPERS!
~Burp cloths
~Bibs
~Bottles -- I recommend the Playtex Ventaire or Drop-ins. Every other bottle I've used has given my boys gas and leaked horribly
~Formula Pitcher
~Pacificer Pod -- lifesaver when your child is screaming at the store.
~Diaper Bag
~Crib
~Pack-n-Play
~Boppy Barenaked
~Boppy slipcovers -- you'll be glad you got the slipcovers the first time your baby spits up all over this pillow icon_smile.gif
~Gym mat
~SwaddleMe blankets -- they work wonders! I swear by them!
~Other blankets
~High Chair
~Bumbo
~Swing (I suggest the Rainforest Cradle...it has the option to be battery or plug operated and will save you a ton since most swings use 4 D batteries).
~Stroller
~Carseat
~Changing table pad -- it can be put anywhere!
~Pad covers
~Crib Sheets
~Blankets
~Bouncer
~Bottle Drying Rack
~Baby bathtub
~Thermometer -- rectal or temporal artery are much more accurate
~Nail Clippers
~Monitor
~Bath Gift Set - comes with lots of good stuff
~Lots of onesies
~And for fun: baby toys!

Things that are a waste IMO:
~Pack of Receiving blankets -- too small to use for long
~Changing table
~Positioner -- two rolled up towels work just as well
~Bottle warmer -- if you nurse or make each bottle as needed you will not need this.
~Diaper stacker
~Bassinet/Cradle -- just use the pack-n-play
~Shopping cart/High chair Covers -- only good if you remember to use them icon_smile.gif
~Healthcare Kits -- seriously, you won't use anything except the thermometer and it's always cheap quality
~Wipes Warmer -- your baby doesn't care that much and they're cold by the time you get them from the warmer to their butt anyway

HTH. thumbs_up.gif

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:59am
post #6 of 40

I agree with amia's list of "wastes". I would add that Dr. Brown's bottles were a lifesaver for us.

Another waste: expensive crib set (especially with the matching stuff like quilts and curtains and diaper stackers and lamps and . . . you get the idea). Just get a cute bumper pad (with a dust ruffle if you have a drawer below that you want to hide). Once they can start to pull up you have to take it out anyway because they can use it to climb out. Skip the "baby" painted nursery so that child doesn't outgrow it too fast. Something to use as a hamper in the baby's room is nice too. It doesn't have to be an actual "hamper".

Congratulations-- we dealt with some of your issues and now have a happy, healthy kindergartener.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:06am
post #7 of 40

I disagree on the wipes warmer. Not b/c my kids needed warm wipes, but b/c they are soooo much easier to get the wipes out of with a finger or 2 while you have your other hand on a wiggling baby.

You MUST have a swing. It was my savior, then the Exersaucer. Otherwise, I wouldn't have showered for about 10 months.

DH and I used our pack-n-play in our bedroom as a bassinet for a while. Ours had an insert that had a changing table on one side, and the bassinet on the other, and it worked great. Our neighbors gave us a small changing table, and we put it in our fam room and it was so useful!

Don't buy too many newborn size diapers-you can always buy more, but your baby may have a big butt like mine and not fit into them. I read somewhere that I should randomly buy wipes, baby wash, and diapers and store them, and it did come in handy.

Take a breastfeeding class, if you plan to bf, and it wouldn't hurt to get a pump. A pump is a lifesaver when your milk comes in.

We took an "All About Baby" class, and they taught us how to change a diaper, bive medicine, etc. It was very helpful.

Get some baby gas drops. Sometimes, if the baby is crying, you don't know why, and nothing will help, gas drops will do the trick. THANK GOD my SIL told me that.

valerie01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerie01 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 40

Congratulations!!

I have a 6 mo old and 3 year old. I second all the "wastes" listed so far and would add a diaper genie to that list. A small garbage pail with a lid works just fine and is much less expensive. Or just dump them in with your regular garbage if you change it often. Also, I've had difficulty with the slings and other front carriers, and wouldn't recommend them.

I also second the cloth diapers. They are wonderful for burp cloths and generally almost anything. Our first was a boy and we could never change him fast enough, so he always peed on EVERYTHING!!! Eventually we learned that a cloth diaper over his penis saved us tons of hassle.

My essentials:
diapers - mostly 1s and 2s
wipes
one piece pajamas with a zipper (no fumbling in the dark to line up snaps)
a few blankets to swaddle and roll up for positioning
a swing or bouncer
pacifiers
if nursing...breast pads, lanolin, nursing bras
onesies
socks
thermometer
bath gear - tub, wash clothes, soap
activity mat
crib sheets
crib mattress protectors
activity mat
car seat
stroller

Amia Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #9 of 40

Things the hospital will give you for free, just ask:
~Soothie Pacifiers
~Nipple Shields
~Bulb Syringes
~Parts for your pump -- if you have one.
~Storage bottles for your expressed breast milk -- again, if you end up having to pump.

They will also allow you to rent their pumps if you do not want to buy one.

BTW, I like to make lists, if you haven't noticed. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 40

Take an experienced friend/family member with you to a BabiesRUs and spend an afternoon walking around and looking. A friend and I did that with another friend who didn't really know what was available. We went to lunch then spent 4 or 5 hours at Babies R Us, explaining things, what works. It gave us some bonding time too.

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:46am
post #11 of 40

I've had two, and with the first one we totally bought into that whole list that Babies R Us hands you and tells you that you need. We ended up with a nursery full of awesome looking stuff that two years later we still hadn't found a need for, and it ended up in the attic haha.

The things we actually used and used a lot, and so I recommend registering for are these--it never hurts for someone else to buy these things for you!: (WOW this list looks sooo long!! haha)

~Crib
~Crib Sheets --open the package and feel them. Some are rough!!
~Bumper pad
~Sleep Positioner
~Carseats (I recommend Britax. They are the very best; crash tested at 65 mph rather than the normal 30. Expensive but worth it, and if you're registering you may as well put them on there! We also loved our Graco Snugrides for when they were infants.)
~Stroller
~Diapers & Wipes!!!
~Pack-N-Play (great for overnight trips and just containment if you want them in the room with you)
~Exersaucer (totally agree with the comment above about showers)
~Avent starter set (these bottles worked best for us; it's a matter of what works best for you! And whatever breastpump you choose!)
~Breast pump if you plan to nurse
~Lanolin, nursing pads, if you plan to nurse
~Boppy pillow if you plan to nurse
~High chair/booster chair (We love our Fisher-Price HealthyCare BoosterSeat...we've used it for both kids, and it's portable and doesn't take up any extra space in the kitchen)
~Baby Swing
~Baby Monitors
~Temporal Artery Thermometer (I love this thing!!)
~Infant Tylenol, Gas drops
~Baby nail clippers
~Changing pad/covers
~Halo SleepSacks
~Sleep-N-Plays
~Plain white cotton onesies
~Cool mist humidifier

What I dont recommend--
~An expensive bouncer--your baby will outgrow it by 4 months probably
~Expensive crib set--you cant keep it in the crib anyway. No blankets on infants, so just get sheets in the colors you like, and the bumper in the theme you like. Otherwise, you just end up folding the $100 blanket and putting it away.
~Baby bathtub. The only part of this I ever used was the infant mesh sling that came with it.
~Musical mobile.
~Wipes warmer.
~baby medicine kits. Most of them are for older children and shouldnt be given to infants anyway.
~Shopping cart covers
~Changing table (Just get a nice flat-top dresser and put a changing pad on top! Plus--it's portable and can go to the living room with you!)
~Expensive baby detergent (We never needed anything other than our normal Gain)
~Tons of baby clothes. I'm sure you'll find a few outfits you'll fall in love with that you'll just have to get!! Remember youre gonna get tons at your shower though! Keep in mind that long after your baby is born you will probably be pulling clothes from the closet that still has tags that your baby grew out of before you got a chance to put them on.

Wow, I really wrote a lot!! icon_smile.gif You'll probably still find things that you just really dont need that you just HAVE to have (bc you'll talk yourself into thinking you need them)! Especially since it's your first baby, you'll probably still go to the nines!!

...Really, when it all comes down to it, so long as they have a place to sleep, diapers/wipes, a clean onesie and something to eat, and a good safe carseat, they are pretty much good to go! All the rest is just trimmings!

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:15am
post #12 of 40

I say hold off on the swing LOL. I have four kids and only one liked the swing. For baby clothes check out Goodwill or another thrift store. Babies grow out of clothes so fast that you can find even new or practically new clothes for very little $. One thing I did always get for our kids was one newborn outfit to bring them home in, but yes they will grow out of newborn stuff FAST.

I LOVED my sling. I had a MayaWrap. There are many different types of slings out there, some I down right hated, but when you find one you liked and you figure out how to use it properly it is a life saver! It's holding a baby hands free with very little stress to your own body (when done right!).

Changing tables aren't necessary, but are a handy piece of extra furniture if you need the storage. We used ours way after the kids were grown just as shelves basically. But, I rarely changed the kids on it LOL, I usually ended up on the floor or bed, it was just easier.

Cloth diapers (prefolds) are the bomb for everything! Even now we have ours for rags, they're really great. Use as sput rags, instead of bibs, under the butt during changes, cushioning during a bath, catching squirting milk (when baby pulls off!!!), they're great.

You're bound to go overboard with your first, you just can't help it. Just have fun with it and relax and trust your instincts.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:41am
post #13 of 40

The nice thing is, you can buy as much or as little as you want, and your baby won't know the difference! It's nice to have lots of stuff, but it takes up lots of space and you don't really get to use most of it for very long.

I used the pack and play as a bassinet and changer for my kids when they were small enough for it. You can buy sheets for it too. Then when they get too big for the bassinet, you can fold the whole thing up and just take it with you for trips to grandma's.

Don't buy tons of diapers and wipes yet...everyone says to do that, but the stores won't always let you return diapers (even when they're still sealed), and your baby may be allergic to some brands. One of my daughters was, and she would end up with a bright red monkey butt with some brands. I always bought the boxes with ten million diapers in, and then we would use two diapers, be allergic and have to get rid of the rest.

My pediatrician says that Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo/soap/lotion/etc...is more likely to cause allergic reactions than other brands. We still used it because I liked the smell icon_lol.gif

Don't buy a ton of baby bottles yet. We had to try seven different kinds before we found one that worked for my daughter.

I agree with everyone about the newborn clothes...unless you end up with high blood pressure during your pregnancy, then having some smaller clothes is a good idea because you may deliver a bit early. Both of my kids had to have preemie clothes, and my younger one wore them for about a month.

Baby shoes are a big waste of money. Buy one pair to look cute, and just make do with socks the rest of the time, until baby starts walking.

I liked the velcro swaddling blanket and the halo sleep sacks a lot. The infant gowns with the elastic at the bottom are nice too, because when you're changing diapers in the middle of the night, it's nicer to pull up a skirt to access the diaper than it is to undo a million little snaps and then have to figure out how they all go back together.

I never used the changing table, just the one on the pack and play and by the time they outgrew that, we changed them on the floor, which is a good place to change a wiggly baby.

You should buy a few waterproof pads too, they're great to put in the crib until you get the hang of diapering just right...it's not fun changing the whole sheet because the diaper sprang a leak. You can also put a waterproof pad in your bed when you get close to your due date, so that if your water breaks in the night, you don't mess up your mattress.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:37am
post #14 of 40

Congratulations!! How exciting!

Whatever you do make sure you have what YOU will need too! Showers don't have to be just about the baby!

- Maxipads
- Lanolin creme (you'll want this if your breast feeding, after a day of good latching it'll be the only thing that will 'un-curls' your toes!)
- Bra pads (My milk let down every time I heard or looked at ANY baby! Thought I could save money and tried to go without them once - my blouse literaly dripped milk, at a dinner party no less - lol!)
- Asprin for cramping relief
- Comfortable going home outfit - something nice and loose fitting like a blouse and skirt (blouse buttons for feeding time - skirt for mommy time) Don't fool yourself like I tried with my first baby, you will still be a size or two larger than you were - it's NOT all water and baby. And here's something no one talks about! Hemroids - especially with the first baby -just be mentally ready that may be a possibility. I would have appreciated at least a 'heads up' on that.

Daddy may like to think about what he wants to take with him also. Those little guys aren't always in a big hurry to come out, and hospitals are expensive! By our fourth baby my husband had his own bag packed with magazines, books, laptop and some snacks.
OH! And tell him to only let you hold 2 fingers (index and middle), NOT to offer his whole hand! I almost broke my husband's hand the 1 and 2 times, then he only offered those fingers and I could squeeze as much as I wanted without him out yelling me.

Baby's really don't need too much at first. Diapers, vaseline, Q-tips for the umbillical cord cleaning, INFANT CAR SEAT, and a couple of receiving blankets rolled up and placed beside them to help keep them upright in the seat.
Of course a weather appropriate outfit for going home in - and to go shopping in for more outfits and stuff - remember that your going to want to go out and show him off!

We had a cradle we kept on my side of the bed for all 4 children, it's much easier for the night time breast feeds ... and hubby would usually roll over to cuddle and talk with us too. Very nice for bonding, but make sure to have a night light or lamp because you'll need to change him... and it helps keep you awake after the novelty wears off and exhaustion sets in after about 4 months - lol!

Ahh... you know the absolute BEST times I had with my children was bath time! I LOVED climbing in the tub with them - it was the easiest and safest way for bathing.
Golly I miss that! Whatever you do just don't sweat it or over think it people have been doing this for years and will probably buy you what they think you need despite the registery.
It doesn't last forever, and before you know it your feeling sad, because soon you know you won't be pregnant much longer. Take a deep breathe, slow down and ENJOY every moment!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 8:21am
post #15 of 40

I agree with just about everybody's list on what to buy but have to disagree on some of the don't buy list.

I love my wipe warmer. I've used it for all 4 kids. Whenever we go away and don't have access to it my daughter has always complained about how "cold" the wipes are, she actually jumps (can make for a very messy changing icon_lol.gif ). If you do buy it I recommend filling it with way more water than is recommended (this is what keeps them warm) and yes it is easier to remove them.

I also loved the change table, I have a bad back so being on the floor is not always the easiest (It'll do in a pinch but....). Also if you change on your bed you have the chance of it getting messed up and if you stand while your baby's on the bed you have to "hunch" which my back didn't appreciate.

Did you know that disposable diapers have an expiration date, so don't go overboard with buying those. My favourtie diapers for our newborns were the Pampers Swaddlers. I think a baby is supposed to have 6-8 wet diapers in a day so maybe you can use this as a guide to how many you should stock up on. I would just buy one pack of newborn at first just incase they are too small for your little one (1 out of my 4 had this problem) and buy a size 1. If your DH is going to be around to help that should be enough for at least 1st couple of weeks (give or take on how many times you need to change diapers).

Sleepers (one piece) are awesome but I preferred the ones with the snaps simply because I found that some of the zippers didn't always stay down and would turn up into their necks. They are easier for us though!

Don't forget to buy diaper rash cream. I really have had good luck with Dr. Smiths Diaper Ointment.

And as everyone has mentioned don't go crazy buying outfits. I have trunk fulls of brand new outfits that never got worn. It is so much easier putting a baby into onsies and sleepers and way cheaper in the long run, same goes with the shoes. I understand that babies shouldn't be wearing them anyway because it can effect their walking (when they are at that stage) let them go barefoot until they have totally got the hang of it.

The boppy pillows are awesome if you plan on nursing! I bought avent bottles with my first son, washed/steamed them and had them ready to go but he never once used them, all 4 of my children refused the bottle they went right to sippy cups. So don't buy to many of them, plus some children have issues with certain bottles too (gas, don't like the nipples etc.)

I also loved our cradle/bassinette. I had this on my side of the bed for all of my kids. I also had the pack and play with the basinette but for some reason my oldest did not care for it at all, everytime I put him in there to nap, he would wake up immediately and start crying, I assume he did not find it comfortable, but who knows???

Also, make sure you take loose clothing for you to go home in. When I had my 1st they told me to bring my pre-pregnancy clothes with me to go home in....who were they kidding?????? I was swollen up for about 5-6 weeks before I started to not look pregnant (and that's with all 4 c-sections).

Most of all enjoy your pregnancy and take all the sleep you can get now.

Have fun baby shopping!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:02pm
post #16 of 40

I loved our wipe warmer, and the boys would flinch when I wiped their bottoms with cold wipes. I guess they got used to the warm wipes. I also loved my bouncy seat. I used an Avent breast pump and bottles, but the boys didn't take bottles much. I'm a SAHM and always have been, but it's nice to have so you can go to the grocery alone. Make usre you have gas drops. We always used Wal Mart brand because uch cheaper than the name brand. Also, buy a few jars of Tucks pads for you (used WM brand on these too), and some pads. They'll give you some of both the bring home with you, but they were never enough.

During the last month of your pgcy, I would start making meals that can be frozen and easily reheated unless your mom lives close and likes to cook! These were a lifesaver for us, especially with our second because all of our family lived several hours away.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:53pm
post #17 of 40

The problem with asking a bunch of women what they think you should buy is that you get lots of conflicting advice. icon_lol.gif

With every baby there is a bit of trial and error. My oldest used his swing all the time, my youngest hated it and prefered to be carried so I got a front snugglie. My youngest hated bottles in general and would only drink out of a couple different kinds while my older child didn't care.

If you're going to be home with the baby a breast pump might not be worth it if you're nursing. If you're going to leave the baby for a couple hours once in a while and just need one bottle's worth you can express by hand. If you'll be leaving the baby alot you would probably want a pump.

If you'll be traveling to visit people a playpen will be wonderful so baby has a place to sleep. I never used mine at home but I loved it for travel.

Expensive baby laundry soap might be a waste for some but children with sensitive skin often need it. I even had to wash my shirts in it while I was nursing or my kids would break out. I still have just a couple brands I can use with my 9 year old, he has eczema and breaks out easily.

I doubt I ever would have used a changing table but some people love them.

Everyone is right that the baby won't need tons of fancy outfits. Sleepers and onsies are what you'll use at home. You'll probably only use the fancy stuff when you go places.

Babies don't need shoes at all, they say that the foot muscles don't develop right if you have a kid in shoes all the time. You're likely to spend more time putting them on than the child spends wearing them anyway.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #18 of 40

We used the Free and Clear (All, Gain, and a few others have them) detergents for both of our boys, and it's still what we use. The yhave no colors and smells, and are very gentle. Both of our boys and my dh have exczema, and it's all we can use.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:43pm
post #19 of 40

carter's has REALLY nice sleepers with no snaps, no zippers, just elastic at the bottom. you don't even have to keep your eyes open at 3:00 AM -not like you could anyway. when i made my DH get out of bed to change the baby (then i'd feed them), he went out and bought a whole bunch of those sleeper!

should i mail 'em to ya?! icon_lol.gif

Amia Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:11pm
post #20 of 40

Not every baby will nurse, so you may need the pump if you want your baby to have breast milk. Apparently, this is fairly common. I know neither of mine would nurse, with the shield, or otherwise. It was a pain, but I pumped every bottle and usually had enough leftover to freeze.

lecrn Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:09pm
post #21 of 40

Thank you all so much for the great advice. It really helps a lot to hear several opinions (although some may differ).
I am going to attempt to breast feed. After my three months of maternity leave, I sadly have to return to work part-time. I think that a breast pump is going to be a must for me.
Our bedroom is on the main floor & the baby's will eventually be upstairs. I think that the idea of using a pack & play downstairs would be the best until he gets a little older.
The only things that I plan on purchasing are a crib, breast pump, & the personal items for myself (which I didn't think of). I plan on registering for everything else & taking some hand-me-downs. Whatever else is left on my list of necessities I will just have to purchase. I guess it would be a little less overwhelming if I made a list.
Thanks guys! You're the best!

xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 40

I forgot to mention in my last post that it may be a good idea to buy baby detergent as your child may be sensitive to the regular ones. I know my 1st was and it just became habit to use it for all of them.

Also, if you are planning to breastfeed it is probably best to not introduce a pacifier until such time that your baby has figured out how to latch properly. I had this problem with one of my babies. While I was in the shower (still in the hospital my DH decided to use the pacifier (even though I told him not too!!)) and it took myself and the nurse nearly a whole day to re-latch. I used a syringe to feed him to make sure he was still getting something. It is alot easier for babies to drink from a bottle than from you so if given the chance they will tend to take the easy route (and who wouldn't icon_lol.gif ). I think at the breastfeeding class they usually say it takes about a month to establish really good breastfeeding (both for you and the baby) so they tell you not to introduce anything else before this time).

In Canada the working moms are really lucky they all get 1 year mat leave!!!!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:45pm
post #23 of 40

I breast fed both of mine, and don't be surprised if you kiddo goes on a "nursing strike". When mine did, thank God I had my trusty Avent pump, and a freezerful of milk. DD fired me from the boob at 6 mos, but I continued to pump until she was a year. Then, the little stinker decided my breast milk didn't taste good to her, so I ended up throwing away about 100 bags of frozen milk. tapedshut.gif

Our ped told us to introduce the bottle to her at 1 mo., dh to do it, so that I could at leat have a break occasionally. We did not do that with ds, and when I went back to work it was a freakin' nightmare.

For coming home from the hospital-get Tucks, Lansinoh for your nips, big ol maxi pads felt better to me, and you may need your Boppy to sit on if you tear like I did. My babies were 9 and 11 pounds, so my girl parts were a mess for a while.

Have you been to Babycenter.com? When I was pg I made friends w/ a group of moms on the forum due the same month as me, and we all stayed together for years. It was a great suport, esp. if I forgot to ask my dr. something, there were like 20 other ppl who could ask theirs.

xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #24 of 40

babycenter.com is a great website! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 4:59am
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I breast fed both of mine, and don't be surprised if you kiddo goes on a "nursing strike". When mine did, thank God I had my trusty Avent pump, and a freezerful of milk. DD fired me from the boob at 6 mos, but I continued to pump until she was a year. Then, the little stinker decided my breast milk didn't taste good to her, so I ended up throwing away about 100 bags of frozen milk. tapedshut.gif

Our ped told us to introduce the bottle to her at 1 mo., dh to do it, so that I could at leat have a break occasionally. We did not do that with ds, and when I went back to work it was a freakin' nightmare.

For coming home from the hospital-get Tucks, Lansinoh for your nips, big ol maxi pads felt better to me, and you may need your Boppy to sit on if you tear like I did. My babies were 9 and 11 pounds, so my girl parts were a mess for a while.

Have you been to Babycenter.com? When I was pg I made friends w/ a group of moms on the forum due the same month as me, and we all stayed together for years. It was a great suport, esp. if I forgot to ask my dr. something, there were like 20 other ppl who could ask theirs.

I have to laugh! My son was just the opposite. His 2nd birthday is coming up and I cannot get him to leave the boobie alone. I've finally cut him off cold turkey but I miss it.

To the OP:

Congrats!

Everyone has wonderful advice and all I have to add is my experience.

When I had my son I was strangely prepared except for the Social Security Number paperwork (I had a homebirth so priorities were different) , Life Insurance, College 529 plan, etc. Some people like to give $$ for the little one and it's nice to have an account already set up.

Also, do not forget to speak to someone to have your will updated to include the munchkin and where you would like the little one to go if heaven forbid, something happened.

Good Luck and don't forget to get something for your husband on what he can expect when the baby gets here. The relationship changes and men go through jealousy towards their own little one and it's nice for a man to have it in writing that they are normal, etc.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:50am
post #26 of 40

These ladies have given you incredible advice. The only thing I would suggest is to get another bulb syringe from the hospital. The ones they sell in the store are horrible and don't work. Trust me you will use them. Also get some nursing pads. The lansinol ones are fantastic and have lanolin already in them so they help with the tenderness. And don't be surprised when you hear a baby crying, right after you deliver, your milk starts to let down. That's when the nursing pads are so very helpful.

Everyone will give you advice about how to do this or that, but trust me your mom instinct will kick in and you will do just fine. Your hearing will be super sharp and will be able to hear your child 3 miles down the road. You will build eyes in the back of your head. And the best part--you will get "the mom" look. You won't have to use it until your babies are much older but it will stop traffic and time if need be.

Best of luck!!

Kathy

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:52am
post #27 of 40

Looks like everyone is giving great advice.

Alot of the baby items depend on the family if you will use them.

I didn't buy a changing table I just had a shelf w/ a changing pad on top of it then once they were older now it's just a shelf int here room.

Also the waterproof pads are AWESOME for crib mattress' ~ another plus is once you baby isn't a baby and you've moved them into a toddler bed and are potty training you can easily get them back to bed quickly for middle of the night wets ALSO for sick nights - gross I know but life savor.

I also nursed and the Johnson & Johnson pads just did NOT absorb any other nursing pads work I love I think it was the advent ones b/c they had a sticky square on the back so it would stick to my bra and stay in place.

I had to go back to work when my dd was 6 weeks so I had to pump I had a manual pump which works fine but it never extracted all of my milk so I would do alot of research on a pump

OH the hospitals by me have these lil things that you snap and have cotton on one end and that's what you use to clean the babies umbilical cord. TAKE as many as you can of those!!! They work AWESOME if you aren't at home and need to clean the umbilical cord TONS better than carrying qtips and alcohol around w/ you.

I would suggest having an appt w/ a lacation specialist. Noone I knew had nursed so I went in blind and did it wrong believe it or not SO I would make sure you see a lactation specialist. The hospital near me has one that walks the new moms floor but she just didn't get to me until a while later.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:01am
post #28 of 40

So excited for you and DH!! Yah for you!! We had a three year wait to start our family too but once it started they came fast and furious.

I've been pregnant 13 times and I am two weeks away from having my 9th child.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I've had several different experiences in deliveries.

So much good advise has already been given, so I'll just as one thing and second some others.

I kept the the gift receipt in a in a zip lock bag attached to the same hanger as the little cute outfits. It is tempting to rip all the tags off and wash the clothes in preparation of baby's arrival. Don't do it.
Why does everyone focus on 3 months?? Seems like everyone gave me the same size and I knew that I couldn't dress the baby in all of them before he was too big. So I took some back to the store and traded up to bigger sizes.

I second a couple of suggestions previously made:

Take Lanosin ointment with you to the hospital..use after every latch on!

Take your own wipes to the hospital as not all hospitals provide them and tar poop is hard to clean up.

We use a regular table as a changing table and I put a stack of drawers ( those plastic ones you can get at walmart) underneath so that I have a place to store diapers and extra clothes.

The sleepers with elastic bottoms are fantastic for the first three months.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. thumbs_up.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:45pm
post #29 of 40

The books What to Expect When You're Expecting and What to Expect The First Year were lifesavers for me through my first pregnancy and baby.

Congratulations and God Bless!!

lecrn Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:39pm
post #30 of 40

[quote="mommachris"]So excited for you and DH!! Yah for you!! We had a three year wait to start our family too but once it started they came fast and furious.

I've been pregnant 13 times and I am two weeks away from having my 9th child.
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, I've had several different experiences in deliveries.

So much good advise has already been given, so I'll just as one thing and second some others.

I kept the the gift receipt in a in a zip lock bag attached to the same hanger as the little cute outfits. It is tempting to rip all the tags off and wash the clothes in preparation of baby's arrival. Don't do it.
Why does everyone focus on 3 months?? Seems like everyone gave me the same size and I knew that I couldn't dress the baby in all of them before he was too big. So I took some back to the store and traded up to bigger sizes.
I second a couple of suggestions previously made:
Take Lanosin ointment with you to the hospital..use after every latch on!
Take your own wipes to the hospital as not all hospitals provide them and tar poop is hard to clean up.
We use a regular table as a changing table and I put a stack of drawers ( those plastic ones you can get at walmart) underneath so that I have a place to store diapers and extra clothes.
The sleepers with elastic bottoms are fantastic for the first three months.
Congratulations on your pregnancy. thumbs_up.gif[/quote

Wow, 9 children?!! You're my hero! What are their ages?
Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice! I don't think that I'll purchase a changing table either. It would seem pretty useless after the diaper changing ends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%