Buttercream Questions

Decorating By dgfrock Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm by PinkZiab

dgfrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgfrock Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 5

I have my cake decorated, put in my refrigerator (all buttercream). It is currently 5 PM, and I won't be delivering the cake until 5 PM tomorrow. It is a 2 hour drive - my car air conditioning went out! Do you think it's going to be OK? I have made many cakes before, but this is my first buttercream (family likes plain old icing!) but this if for my Dad's 80th birthday, and I wanted it "special". So - will the icing be all right for the long drive? (supposed to be in the 80s tomorrow) Thanks in advance! Oh, I'll be posting the cake soon, too.

4 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmmmmm. 80âs is still pretty hot and it doesnât take much heat to get buttercream melting. I had a customer who was picking up a cake and driving it to the party, 1 1/2 hrs away. It was in the low 90âs that day and her car didnât have AC. I froze the cake and she got a big ice chest and put the cake in there and packed ice packs around it. Cake made it fine and was nice and cool still when they cut it later at the party.

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 5

I would definitely keep it in a cooler because it will melt

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 7:26am
post #4 of 5

My thoughts exactly, put it in a cooler if possible.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 5

I would put it in the freezer for an hour or so before the drive and as they said, put it in a cooler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%