Sugar Plaques And Color Flow

Decorating By Ecope Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:08am by tracey1970

Ecope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ecope Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how to make one?
Also, what is color flow. I'm sooo brand new to this.
Thanks in advance!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 5

ColorFlo is the name Wilton gave to a technique that involves outlining a pic, then filling in w/royal icing that is very soft and fluid. It then dries very hard and can be propped up on a cake.
Sugar plaque can be many different thnings:
1) moistened sugar patted into a shape & allowed to dry hard
2) a ColorFlo plaque - see above
3) a gumpaste special shape which has dried
4) a mix of gp & fondant as above

Ecope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ecope Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:51am
post #3 of 5

thanks so much!!
I have yet to try using colorflo, but it seems fascinating.
Maybe I'll go out and try it icon_smile.gif
Thanks again!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:05am
post #4 of 5

To to and they have info and instructions on color flow and how to use it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #5 of 5

Give color flow a try. I have used it many times (there are pics in my photos). It's super easy to do and offers a good amount of detail to the picture you are doing. Like royal icing, though, color flow dries very quickly, so you have to keep it covered, airtight. When you are making your color flow pic, when you set down your piping bag for any reason, you should stick the bag tip into a damp towel/cloth. Use a thicker consistency for the outline of your pic, and use a thinner consistency to fill it in. When you make a color flow piece, the side that is facing you while you are making it is the side that will face up on the cake, so what you are looking at while you make it is what people will see when it's on the cake (versus a frozen buttercream transfer, which is made upside down).

Quote by @%username% on %date%