Ideas For Dessert Auction

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to make a donation for a dessert auction. I don't know what to make that would be sooooo good, but stable for the day & through the dinner/auction. I've planned on making cookies & brownies but want to make a few cakes as well. They don't have to be tiered or decorated, but may make one just for the practice.

6 replies
Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 7

I usually did cookies and pies but I think any simple cake ( no whipped cream or fillings that need to be refrigerated ) would work well. The only concern I would have is if it were going to be an outside event, otherwise the sky's the limit!!!! Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 7

Texas Chocolate would be great since you aren't going to decorate it. If there's not a recipe on cc do a google search. I'd email it to you but I have everything packed as we are in the process of moving.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 7

Having participated in one of these before, experience tells that the best looking cakes are the ones which bring in the most money, so, if you have time, decorate away!

The cake auction I participated in was an upscale fundraiser for an AIDS/HIV patient support fund. It was held at a high-end hotel, and was attended in Black and White dress. I made another hat cake (see my pics) and it brought in $200.

Mine was triple lemon - lemon poppyseed cake, lemon curd filling, lemon crunch in the filling, covered with white rolled fondant, brushed with super pearl.

The more average cakes looked like something from the grab-and-go at the Wally World bakery, and only brought in between $10 and $25 each.

Do they accept coupons for auction? Our local PBS station has a fund-raising auction every year, and they gladly accept coupons for cakes. Maybe you could do a display dummy, and give a coupon for the same cake at a future date.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7

Since I've only covered a few cakes w/ fondant would you have any suggestions of a buttercream decorated cake? I haven't picked up the entry form yet, so I'm not sure if they'll accept coupons. If not, I may suggest it for the next auction.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 7

Is there a theme for the event, or is it just a dessert auction by itself? You could do something which matches the theme.

There are some pics in the gallery of cakes decorated with BC and wrapped in Pirouette Cookies (Pepperidge Farm, in the can). Those always go over well.

A cake with basic BC decorations with chocolate covered strawberries is always a hit.

And someone always needs a last-minute birthday cake, so you could do something simple but sincere, take along a piping bag of icing, and write the message after the cake is purchased.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

Some good ideas Theresa. Thanks! I'm not sure of the criteria yet, the lady is suppose to get me a form next week. And as far as I know, it's just a dessert auction.

I love the look of the messy icing http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=49f4225283c0f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=also_try
And to top it w/ strawberries, yum. I also like the cakes wrapped in chocolate.

My mind just doesn't think of an all occasion cake. Give me a theme & I can work w/ it, but just to say "whatever" gets to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%