State Fairs

Decorating By JennaB Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 11:36am by vonnie99

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 8

I'm so excited, I just found out that my cake entries won at the Nevada State Fair. I won Blue Ribbon for Baby Shower and Blue Ribbon in the "Other" category for Indiana Jones. In addition Indiana Jones won the Best of Divison ribbon. This was my first competition and I have only been decorating for 1 year. Can't wait for next year.

I woudl love to see pics of everyone's State Fair entries, winner or not. Please post links on this thread.

Here's mine:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1256190.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1257153.html

7 replies
vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 8

Wow!!! Awesome work!!! I'm entering my first competition next month - I'm so nervous - any tips?

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

Congratulations on your win! thumbs_up.gif Your cakes are great!

I remember my first competition; I was so nervous and thought I was going to be the least talented one there and had heard horror stories of harsh judges! I was so concerned that I counted the shells on each border to make sure there were the same number on each side of the square cake! AAACCCKKKK!!!!

Well, I won 1st in the category and best of beginner division: I was definately bit by the competition bug! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Keep up the great work!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8

Ok, how do you find out if your state fair even HAS that kind of competition going? I would love to try someday. (novice, of course!)

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 8

Ok, how do you find out if your state fair even HAS that kind of competition going? I would love to try someday. (novice, of course!)

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 8

most fairs have a website, so check that out first. Usually they have the Premium Book listed online that you can see the listings of various contests. At the least there should be some contact information to call and/or e-mail for more info.

Also, local ICES chapters sometimes have cake competitions- go to ices.org for state chapters and event listings.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:18am
post #7 of 8

I can't believe this....the Creative Living Chair called me today to say that kids decided to poke at my Indiana Jones cake and knocked it over. I went to look at it and sure enough, he was severed at the waist. Tthere is still 3 more days of the fair to go. And not only that, someone moved my ribbon on to their pastry to make it look like they won.

I should say I DO believe it because people can be so rude and don't bother watching their children.

I did my best to prop him back up and stuck his arms back on with alot of toothpicks and just not let it get to me. If figure at least they can now verify that he is all cake.

On the bright side, while I was there, I got to judge the Apple Pie contest so all was not lost.

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:36am
post #8 of 8

Oh what rotten luck! At least the incident took place after the judging though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%