Is This Even Possible? Please Help? :)

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 6:33am by sumfun1215

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 23

So, I'm obviously new to cake decorating- I've just been playing around, and just about to finish Course 1 of Wilton.

My sisters 16th birthday (and my 22nd!) is this coming week. She wants a Belle cake...Wondermold, all that jazz. Here's the issue.

She wants chocolate icing. Belles dress is yellow. Her heart is set on both of these! Can I use chocolate icing under a yellow fondant? Any tips? icon_sad.gif Thanks!

22 replies
melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 23

No reason not to use chocolate frosting under the fondant (but there may be an issue with the dark color coming through if the fondant is rolled very thin).

Is there any way you can make the Belle on top of a chocolate covered cake (making it look maybe like a wood dance floor or something)? If you just use a little frosting underneath fondant, there won't be much chocolate frosting and, hey, chocolate buttercream is the bomb and I'm sure she would like more frosting for her birthday cake.

If you have a large party for both of your birthdays (happy birthday by the way!), having Belle with white cake/frosting and a chocolate cake/frosting may be a good option for several people.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 23

I always think it's hilarious when people say things like, "I want a Lakers cake, but we don't like purple" icon_confused.gif My experience is that dark colors underneath show through lighter colors on top, but I gather it also depends on how thinly you roll your fondant. Happy Birthday to ya! party.gif

MeMo07 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

I always think it's hilarious when people say things like, "I want a Lakers cake, but we don't like purple" icon_confused.gif My experience is that dark colors underneath show through lighter colors on top, but I gather it also depends on how thinly you roll your fondant. Happy Birthday to ya! party.gif

LOL! Yes, that's funny.....when she told me this, I was like, "Brandy, how am I supposed to make this work?" She told me I was awesome and that'd I'd figure it out....so...I'm feeling some pressure. LOL.

But the chocolate cake underneath is a good idea too!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 23

I like her standing on the dance floor!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 23

Make white chocolate buttercream and tint it yellow
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2096-white-chocolate-buttercream.html

Jibbies

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 23

Jibbies is right...do white choc. BC and colour it yellow!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 23

White chocolate is not chocolate though.....if the girl likes chocolate, we can't assume that she would like White. Kind of a leap, dontcha think??icon_smile.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 23

Just and idea. Create your cake ice it with the Chocolate buttercream to satisfy the birthday girls chocolate obsession. Then once the BC crusts over, roll a thin white layer of fondant. Lay it down and cover the white with the yellow. If it shows under her yellow skirt it will look like a petticoat or the many, many layers of fabric those dresses had. It will also give you a fresh palette for the yellow skirt and the chocolate BC shouldnt show through.
I would avoid the White chocolate too. It also has a tendency to absorb colors and bleed colors and melt easily. The chips have a lot of wax in them, helps them keep thier shape during baking and it molds up nice but taste can be waxy. I hope that helps you some.

MeMo07 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Just and idea. Create your cake ice it with the Chocolate buttercream to satisfy the birthday girls chocolate obsession. Then once the BC crusts over, roll a thin white layer of fondant. Lay it down and cover the white with the yellow. If it shows under her yellow skirt it will look like a petticoat or the many, many layers of fabric those dresses had. It will also give you a fresh palette for the yellow skirt and the chocolate BC shouldnt show through.
I would avoid the White chocolate too. It also has a tendency to absorb colors and bleed colors and melt easily. The chips have a lot of wax in them, helps them keep thier shape during baking and it molds up nice but taste can be waxy. I hope that helps you some.

This is a great idea too....

Woodthi is right though- my little sister is a, well, simple kind of girl. She's the kind of girl that orders chicken fingers at a Mexican restaurant! Aka- Picky! LOL. I doubt she'd go for white chocolate. I'm thinking about just making Belle in regular buttercream and fondant- I like sweettoothmoms idea, but I'm so nervous about it in the first place that I'm afraid I'd mess it up! LOL. I think I will just make my cake chocolate, and we can share it.

I may attempt half nutella filling and have regular chocolate buttercream filling on that one though- because like I said she's, um, picky! icon_smile.gif

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 23

I agree with sweettoothmom i think that would be the best way to do it

sweettoothmom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 23

I am having a homer simpson moment, "yum nuttttteelllllaaaaa!" slobber slobber drip drip icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 23

you can cover chocolate buttercream with yellow fondant...so no worries

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #14 of 23

I put white and other light color fondant over dark chocolate buttercream all the time. As long as you don't roll your fondant too thin nothing will show through the yellow.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #15 of 23

Just don't roll your fondant too thing, keep it between 1/8 and 1/4" and you should be fine.

sweettoothmom Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 23

I always roll fondant thin because I dont care for the thick stuff so that is why I would do the two layers- one white and one yellow. But hey girl you do what you thinkis best for your decorating style.

Just post a pic when your done and let us know. Cant wait to see it.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:27pm
post #17 of 23

But if you are doing 2 layers then it will be twice as thick anyway - so my thought is yellow over chocolate - should not be any problem at all, I have done it before.

sweettoothmom Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 23

I see what you are saying about being twice as thick with both the yellow and white. I just do not roll my fondant out that thick. So two layers of fondant in the thickness I roll it might make one layer for your normal one.
It is just personal preference, I dont care for a mouth full of gummy fondant. Just a hint thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 12:28am
post #19 of 23

Sweettooh I totally agree about the mouthful of fondant! icon_smile.gif I do have tons of IMBC under my fondant, so fondant is really just more window dressing for my cakes, the IMBC is the real treat.

I don't really eat it all that much and don't really expect others to - it does amaze me how many people DO end up eating it! LOL!

But believe me - as a preference, I agree - the thinner the better, it just doesn't always work that way design wise. Oh well!

It's like wearing high heels when sneakers would be sooo much more comfy!! But the heels look so AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif

sweettoothmom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 5:31pm
post #20 of 23

Love the analogy of the shoes that is exactly right!!!!!

MeMo07 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #21 of 23

Well, here she is! I ended up not doing the layer of white fondant... I found a picture while searching goggle that inspired me- I took a round cookie cutter and cut little circles- then I halved them and attached them around the bottom of the "dress". I guess I had planned to do this the whole way up, but I got tired, and tried just the yellow fondant, and it WORKED! Two layers wasn't necessary after all...I had minor issues, and it wasn't as level as I would've liked, and the back was a mess ( I made a dark yellow train in the back to cover the fondant meeting up mess.)

But you know what, overall it worked for me. This is the first doll cake I've ever done, and my second time to use fondant. My sister and family loved it, and it was totally worth it! Plus, I learned a bunch. So, here it is....I edited the picture (and had fun with it!) because I think I remembered something about no pictures with faces. icon_smile.gif
LL

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 11:38pm
post #22 of 23

Very cute!

sumfun1215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumfun1215 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 6:33am
post #23 of 23

Try some chocolate extract. It is colored, but will end up being a light color that should not show through the fondant.

I agree that the chocolate icing will not be a problem if you don't roll the fondant too thin, though. However, if you're worried about it, try the extract. It tastes good and won't be a dark color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%