Painting With Buttercream

Decorating By jimagination Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:49am by hummingbird59

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 9

I tried my first painting with buttercream yesterday and it seemed to get really gloppy with the crumbcoat. Can someone help me? Do you put a layer of buttercream on first or do you paint with the colored bittercream dirctly onto the cake? I guess I also should have used noncrusting buttercream as well. Any tips would be appreciated!
LL

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 9

Your painting came out niceicon_smile.gif I haven't don e any that I can remember so I'm no help.
I do think that a crusting b'c would be much better - but what do I know having never done it? icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 9

I'm a big-time fan of the Impressionists, and this is very reminiscent of that. Hey, and I'm in Allentown. Maybe we could have a cake-type Hen party at my house one day. I'll bring in some of my deco friends, and we can all take turns giving demos.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the comments!

That would be fun!

I hope someone who has painted with buttercream before comments, because I have seen such wonderful work on here and would love to become as good.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I'm a big-time fan of the Impressionists, and this is very reminiscent of that. Hey, and I'm in Allentown. Maybe we could have a cake-type Hen party at my house one day. I'll bring in some of my deco friends, and we can all take turns giving demos.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

When you do plan, count me in. I live 50 minutes away from Allentown.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 9

a c/cer ... littlemom... does this... i pm/d her myself and saved it.. she was really nice and answered what i wanted to know.. so pm her also... by the way ... your painted picture is really nice...

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 9

I would also love to know how to do this. Is there a tutorial about painting with b/c that anyone knows of?

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:03pm
post #8 of 9

I did this cake by using a palate knife. I crumbcoated with the same color that was going on top and then added the texture and shading.

go to my posted caked and look at the one with the moose on it..it was my first and only attempt at this technique, I liked not having to worry about smoothing the icing.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:49am
post #9 of 9

I guess my post didn't go through so I will try again. Hope this isn't a repeat. I did try painting on buttercream today. Learned a lot of things not to do, like: have a picture in mind or drawn out, just use a thin layer of icing on top, and take some time. I was rushed to try this before we had this cake for dinner. I have posted 2 views in my photo. Please have a look and I don't mind criticism at all. I am trying to learn from all of you at CC. TFL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%