Stopping Kidz From Pokin Models...and Other Ramblings.....

Business By littlecake Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm by emrldsky

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 13

well i'm almost done painting...so next i'm gonna work up a bunch of models...like 10 new wedding cake models. and i'm gonna do a bunch of cute sheet cake models...like 30...

ANYHOO...

my poor last models have been poked to death....even adults will sometimes poke.

i was thinking of getting some toys and sticking them in a cute basket....and making keeping one of my old cakes as a sacrificial poke cake...maybe hang o funny sign around it's "neck" and say something like...."if you must poke...poke me"LOL

the shop is so cute....looks like a bakery hanna montana would like....i did stripes....on another wall...i did hot pink and painted crazy daisies with silver centers on them

on the last wall i did it hot pink with silver and baby pink daises...and i painted a huge blackboard with a crazy neon green frame....and some stick girl bakers with chef hats on.

I HATE THIS NEW CAMERA...grrr....the pics look like a drunk baker took em, it's not like i'm without skills in my life...it looks like i could learn to take pictures...i'm camera challenged...):

dang...i plugged it into the USB port...and was tryin to load the pics....i just kept seeing chubby me....on the puter.....GRRRR...the dang thing has a webcam on it...what da heck?

i know i'm getting paid back for treating my dad mean, when he couldn't understand new stuff (i didn't even let him use the remote control )LOL...now i'm old.

did i mention i got a cheap one...it was like 20 bucks, i thought the price had just gone down....hey i only paid 29 for the dvd player and it worked ok....

i know i'm ramblin with a bunch of disjointed thoughts...must be all the paint fumes....HEE HEE

12 replies
CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 7:02am
post #2 of 13

I only use lightweight wall spackle for my cake dummies anymore... The reason, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if someone pokes them because since they're painted, I can simply take a cloth to them to clean them. If I don't like the color, I can change it with a new coat of paint... Most of all, I NEVER EVER have to worry about a cake dummy getting wrecked because of someone thinking my cakes are the Pillsbury Doughboy!

littlecake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 13

is that like joint compound for sheetrock?

i got a couple of buckets sitting right here....you pipe this stuff too?

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 13

as for teh camera, make sure it's in the preview mode. That can make a difference - I know it does on mine.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

is that like joint compound for sheetrock?

i got a couple of buckets sitting right here....you pipe this stuff too?

I've used joint compound, but lightweight wall spackle IMNSHO is nicer in that when the dummies are finished they don't weigh as much as the joint compound ones do... icon_twisted.gif The lightweight spackle is also a slightly brighter white.

Basically, what you do is thin it down a little to make it spreadable to an icing consistency, put a "crumb coat" on (thick as it'll let you), then put another top coat on after the first one has set (thick), then after that dries, take a drywall sander and sand it smooth, "spackle fix" any air pocket bubbles, then sand with a high number sand paper to finish. Paint it the color you want the base to be, then get more spackle to pipe, if you want it tinted, use acrylic paint but use a lot more than you think you'll need because it dries about 2-3 shades lighter (the paint will thin it down some, but if it's not thin enough for you to comfortably pipe, use a little water to thin again).

Or, you could even order premade dummies from Decopac LOL...

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

I only use lightweight wall spackle for my cake dummies anymore... The reason, it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if someone pokes them because since they're painted, I can simply take a cloth to them to clean them. If I don't like the color, I can change it with a new coat of paint... Most of all, I NEVER EVER have to worry about a cake dummy getting wrecked because of someone thinking my cakes are the Pillsbury Doughboy!

WooooHoooo now yer talking. POWER TOOLS icon_biggrin.gif This is one heckuva idea.

Thanks,
Mike

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #7 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Yeah I like power tools too.

Thanks for the idea of the spackle. I will do that for the fall displays I am thinking.

icon_biggrin.gif

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #8 of 13

Whenever I have a booth out that has gumpaste floerws on display I take along a touch box with a sign that reads "if you must touch something, touch these." Works nicely.

I have a show at the Ren. Fest next week and I'm thinking about a sign that says "touch and ye be beheaded" or something like that.icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 13

People can touch my dummy cakes all day long ... when I put the BC on styrofoam, it gets as hard as concrete.

littlecake Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

People can touch my dummy cakes all day long ... when I put the BC on styrofoam, it gets as hard as concrete.

do you use your own recipe?...or one just for dummies?

since my icing is 50% butter i thought it might not set up very well...i bought a couple of 25 buckets of sam's icing...i figgered it prolly had enough preservatives it would last into the next century.

the dummies i've had, i used dawn's icing on them....that get pretty hard, but they still can break the buttercream roses ...

they even have takin bites out of them...i told one kid...it's 5 years old...it won't be very tasty...he replied...yes it was icon_confused.gif

ugh

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

do you use your own recipe?...or one just for dummies?

same recipe except I leave out the dream whip and the vanilla. It's weird to me too ... put it on a cake and it's dee-lish ... put it on styrofoam and you could park a car on it.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 13

[quote="indydebi']same recipe except I leave out the dream whip and the vanilla. It's weird to me too ... put it on a cake and it's dee-lish ... put it on styrofoam and you could park a car on it.[/quote]

Now that is some "Crusting"! icon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 13

I just have to share a story...I was at a kitchen supply store with my husband and his family once. As we're walking through, we see a nice display cake on a shelf. My husband (for SHAME!) reaches out, touches it and I practically scream, "Don't touch it!" and I smacked his hand.

I guess I never had the "Please don't touch display cakes" discussion with him. icon_redface.gif I was embarrassed that he would think it was OK, and embarrassed that I yelled at him in the middle of a store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%