Do I Need To Keep German Chocolate Cake Frosting In Fridge?

Decorating By cakeladyem Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 6:19am by cakeladyem

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 5

I have not made German chocolate cake before but want to try it today and am thinking of taking some on a trip several hours away to a relative tomorrow. I really don't want to give the gift of food poisoning though, so I wondered if it is okay to have the frosting out of the fridge for long, since there are eggs in it. Or does anyone know a recipe without eggs in it? thanks so much, I love you all!

4 replies
bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 5

The frosting will be ok because you cook the eggs. The recipe that I use is the one that is on the Baker's Sweet Chocolate, just follow the recipe and you should not have any problems with it.It is a very good cake for inside or outside. icon_smile.gif

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 5

I make German Chocolate Cake alot and dont feel your cake will make it on the several hour trip. When the frosting gets to room temp or hotter, it becomes a little runny. It's best to keep it cold/cool. I'm not aware of icing made without eggs.

If you look in my pics, the football helmets are made out of german choc cake. It was hot in my house from cooking for the super bowl party. The cakes started to sag alittle.

Good luck

Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzies_Sweats-n-Treats Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 5

This doesnât answer your question, but I thought this was interesting and does tie in with your question (kind of icon_lol.gif ). Besides it looks like you already have the answer you were looking for! This was From Wikipedia:

This cake is actually not a traditional German dessert. The original recipe was sent by a homemaker in Dallas in 1957 to a newspaper in Texas. It used Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, which was created in 1852 by an Englishman named Samuel German for the Baker's chocolate brand. Coconut is also a major baking product of the company.
The cake became quite popular and General Foods â which owned Baker's Chocolate at the time â sent the recipe to other newspapers in the country. Sales of the company are said to have increased by as much as 73%. The apostrophe and the "s" were accidentally dropped in subsequent publications, creating the "German Chocolate Cake" we know today.
It has been suggested that the cake didn't strictly originate from this recipe. Similar buttermilk and chocolate cakes have been popular in the South for over 70 years.

cakeladyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyem Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:19am
post #5 of 5

thank you all, that answered my questions!

Emily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%