Can I Get Some Design Help From You? Pic Attached

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm by iluvjay829

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making my son's baptism cake this weekend. As you can see from the sketch, it's a two tier cake. I was planning on doing the bottom layer in light blue fondant with white and sage green stripes. The top layer would be iced in either white fondant or buttercream with light blue and sage green polka dots.

How do you think that will look? I can't quite get a firm picture of it in my head which is unusual for me. For the borders I thought about alternating the three colors with large dots or balls of fondant. The cross will be fondant or gumpaste but I haven't figured out a color yet.

I have no idea why this is stumping me. Any help would be great!

9 replies
Bellatheball Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 10

sorry, the attachment didn't go through. I'll try again.
LL

PollyMaggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PollyMaggs Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 10

I think thoses colors will be beautiful together as long as you stay in the same tones. The design will look great...have faith in yourself. Once you get started you'll run with it and do a great job.
Polly

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 10

I think the design will look great. This is a pretty popular pattern (stripes and dots) so it will definitely work, and the colors will look nice together. My only suggestion is to do both tiers in the same finish. Either buttercream with fondant accents or all fondant. I don't think one tier fondant and the other buttercream would look as good, to me. I think a light blue cross (to match the base tier) with some sage details (trim or a thinner sage cross overlay) would look really nice.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 10

Like this?
LL

Bellatheball Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 10

I guess that beats my version of sketching and using colored pencils! LOL. Thank you for taking the time to do that, it's just what I had in mind.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I wondered about using buttercream on the top and thought that might be a mistake. Pink, is that Jacques Torres? If so, I'm jealous. I used to watch him on PBS when he did Dessert Circus. In fact, my husband gave me his cookbook when we were dating. That's how I knew I was going to marry him. icon_biggrin.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 10

Anytime- Can't wait to see it!

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 10

Diana... what computer program did you use to make the template of the cake? It is AWESOME!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 10

I used the Microsoft Paint program. I saved the blank templates Doug has done in the templates folder. I opened them with paint and just filled it in.

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 10

You can make your own cake diagrams in microsoft word too...just do insert, picture, autoshapes. It's lots of fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%