My Mmf Is Still Too Sticky

Decorating By liapsim Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm by CakeComeTrue

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

Hi...okay so I made the MMF from the recipe on here by prettytoya. At the end, I kept adding the sugar trying to make this "unsticky" however, it never got that way....even after all the sugar was gone. I did however add black gel paste to it before the sugar because I needed black fondant...and I'm wondering is this what made it that way? It was unusable no matter what I did to it!!! Eventually I had to toss it. Can ya'll help me out??? I would like to use it for some cupcakes I'm planning on doing....

Thanks!

4 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

I know that adding gel to the MMF makes it a lot more sticky. I think you just have to keep adding lots of sugar. The black is especially more sticky than other colors for some strange reason.

Even when we use premade Satin Ice black fondant we notice that it's a lot more difficult to work with than other precolored fondant.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 5

I'm thinking it may have been the gel also. I use 2 tsp. of vanilla to mine along with the 2 tbsp. of water and usually don't have a problem with it being sticky. The only time I have a sticky mess is when I may accidently put to much water or vanilla in. Try making it all the way through and letting it rest like the instructions indicate then color it. HTH! Good luck!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 5

I will try that Jenlg. I just thought that if I put it in when the marshmallows were melted....it would be easier. Oh well...no shortcuts for me!

CakeComeTrue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeComeTrue Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 5

I also use MMF, but i color mine after it is done. But if you want black you may want to start off using a dark fondant, such as chocolate fondant. When your marshmallows are melted, you add dark cocoa powder, till you get it dark enough for your liking, omiting some of your powder sugar. Then when done, add your gel black till you get the darkness you like. If you just add it to white fondant, you will have to keep putting it in till it gets black, which could take forever and you'll be using almost all of your gel color. Kneading it till it gets black may be exhausting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%