$39 For A Half Sheet Cake

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 12:45am by Trixyinaz

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #31 of 37

That is scary debi!

Thanx for sharing your storys Rose_N_Crantz and everyone else.

My local store bakery I was asking some question about their cakes and was surprised to hear they don't even bake them there. Why does it say "Bakery" then? Maybe it should say, "The Decorator", "The Froster", "The Airbrusher".

icon_lol.gif

SugarHighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:02pm
post #32 of 37

Just wanted to comment -

I recently started working at Sams Club as a second job decorating cakes.

Before working at Sams...I really got offended when people were shocked at what I charge and I was irritated with Sams and other grocery store "competition". I was frustrated when I knew I could not offer the same price.

BUT NOW....I realize that the cakes are offered cheap because there are LIMITATIONS. You are right, we do not "bake" any of the cakes - they come frozen. The buttercream is good, although not the same as homemade.

You can get a 1/2 sheet basic cake at sams for 21.37..which is just buttercream and a few roses, streamers or balloons. These cakes I can decorate in about 6 minutes - and they look really nice. (I dont leave cake showing though.... icon_lol.giflol )

BUT, I now realize that sams can NEVER offer what I can. Which is truly CUSTOM cakes - because the only thing we are allowed to "customize" at sams is color of borders...all spun off corporate designs.

Anything unique, innovative, and truly special is not possible to get from Sams. For that, you must go to a specialty baker, like us at CC.

That is why, it no longer bothers me. Because I know that Sams and any other retail store can NEVER offer what I can.

I hope that helps anybody else who feels discouraged by the big guys.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #33 of 37

Trixyinaz It looks like they got what they paid for. You can see cake its not that pretty I have seen your cakes WAY WAY better The one thing you have taught me is you are worth it and if they want a cheap cake let them go to a grocery, as you can see what a cheap cake looks like.. And when they want quality they will come to you. Quality cakes aren't cheap. Keep smiling it will get better

allcake247 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allcake247 Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #34 of 37

You are all right. If they want a cheap cake, they can go to Sams, or the nearest grocery store. But if they want a custom or themed cake, they come to us, but have to pay a small price for it. I have the same problem with some of my customers. When I give them a price, knowing that it is still cheap, they want it cheaper. It makes me not want to deal with those types of customers. But then, I have those who will pay more then what its worth, because they know the labor involved and it will look good and also taste good. Keep up the good work ladies!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #35 of 37

I've posted this before and I've said it many times to customers "I'm sorry I don't do cheap cakes"...then I give them directions to the Walmart down the road.

Never compromise your prices and talent for someone who wants a cheap cake...it's just not worth it. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetConfectionsChef

I've posted this before and I've said it many times to customers "I'm sorry I don't do cheap cakes"...then I give them directions to the Walmart down the road.

Never compromise your prices and talent for someone who wants a cheap cake...it's just not worth it. thumbs_up.gif

Here! Here!!
thumbs_up.gif
(or is it "Hear! Hear!" ? icon_confused.gif )

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #37 of 37

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories...I know you are all so right. Heck, I've given pep talks to others in the same spot. I guess when it happens to you (or you are at a low point), it's just hard to take your own advise (with the exception of IndyDebi icon_lol.gif).

Thanks Leann. I sure hope when they want quality and a custom design, they come to me. Hopefully they know the difference between the two icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%