Pumpkin Roll?

Decorating By MichelleM77 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm by dailey

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:50am
post #1 of 17

I've never made one, but I'm starting to get requests for this fall. My problem is that they all call for a cream cheese filling. What other non-fridge options are there? I was thinking a maple flavor filling but I haven't been able to find one.

Any suggestions?

16 replies
amazinggracecakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:43pm
post #2 of 17

I won't be much help because the only filling that I use is cream cheese. I have lots of orders for these. They are very popular for Thanksgiving & Christmas where we are located. Keep us posted if you find any different fillings that are non-fridge!! thumbs_up.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 17

You could just use maple flavoring in your BC.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 17

How about butter pecan?

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 17

I don't know what recipe you use for your "cake" but I have to keep my pumpkin rolls in the fridge for the cake part just as much as the filling.

Have you thought about a caramel filling?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 17

What about mixing the cream cheese filling in the sleeve with some BC?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 17

This is a staple at our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. My grandma makes them ahead of times and freezes them.

Personally if I had one with out the cream cheese it just wouldn't be the same. If you do change the filling up, I'd be sure to point that out when ordering so you don't have disappointed people after the fact.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

I don't know what recipe you use for your "cake" but I have to keep my pumpkin rolls in the fridge for the cake part just as much as the filling.

Have you thought about a caramel filling?

Well that's the thing, I've never made one, so I don't have a recipe for cake. What in your's has to be kept in the fridge? I've never had one, don't know what they taste like, but now that I've been asked a few times for future reference, the recipes look tasty!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! It looks like I will be experimenting. I'd rather not use a sleeve filling (too many ingredients to list on my label, doesn't look good). Yes, I would definitely let it be known that my pumpkin roll, if I choose to go that route, has a different filling than the norm. thumbs_up.gif

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 17

Pumpkin rolls are better served cold......I think that's what the PP was saying about refrigerating the cake part. This is the recipe that I use every year:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
â cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
Confectionerâs Sugar
2 â 3 ounce pks cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease and flour 10x15 inch pan.
Beat eggs and sugar in bowl with electric mixer on high for 5 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Fold into batter. Spread in pan. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Flip finished cake out onto a clean kitchen towel covered with powdered sugar. Roll cake up in towel, starting at short end. Cool completely on wire rack.
Combine 1 cup Confectionerâs sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla, beating until smooth. Unroll cake and spread with filling. Roll carefully. Store in refrigerator.

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 17

Thanks Stacy. I thought the fridge part was just because they are easier to slice chilled. If they "have" to be kept in the fridge even for the cake, then I won't be able to sell them. Darn. They sound good! I'll have to check out pumpkin cookie recipes. icon_smile.gif

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:20am
post #11 of 17

I know that I like to SEE how to make things I've never done before so I found some videos. You can use YOUR recipe but viewing how it goes helps. icon_smile.gif
Here are a few:
http://www.dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/2007/pumpkin-roll.html

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2777-making-pumpkin-rolls
Have fun,
Susie

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks Susie!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 17

If you were looking for something different ,there is a banana roll on home page posted by Angel25.

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 17

I was looking around last night and found an apple bundt-type cake with a maple glaze. Fits the fall/holiday theme I was going for. I'll test it and let you know how it tastes.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:26pm
post #15 of 17

That sound yummy!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:38pm
post #16 of 17

I just got this recipe from a recipe group e-mail today. It uses self-rising flour. I've included the author's description and name. It is not a TNT, but I have used recipes posted by this person before, so I trust her judgement.

Enjoy, All!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Pumpkin Roll - Made With Self Rising Flour

Okay, I was the last to jump on board with pumpkin roll. Only because I love my pumpkin cake. But, I have tried over 12 different recipes. And most are all the same recipe. I have done alot research. There are not many variations. All have few ounces of cream cheese. NOT this one. I got two cakes from this recipe. Recipe calls for one. It uses self rising flour and 2-8 ounce packages of cream cheese.
Prep:20m Cook:15m Servings:15
Author - Recipediva

CAKE:
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda ( now this is my addition, original recipe does not call for it)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg, ( I added more and I use fresh a big difference)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon ( I used 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice ( I used 1 1/2)
6 eggs
1 1/3 cups canned pumplin puree, no pie filling(I used 1 1/2 cups)
Optional: chopped pecans or walnuts to top the cake before you bake it.

PERFECT FILLING: (cause of the taste and exact amount needed for 2 cakes)
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 (8 ounces) packages of cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 (175 C)
Grease and flour 10 x 15 inch pan.
Combine the self rising flour, (my added baking soda if you use it),white sugar, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice. Stir in the pumpkin, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until blended.
Pour batter into prepared pan. (top with nuts at this point if you wish)
Bake for 15 minutes, or until tested with a toothpick comes out clean.
Immediately turn cake out onto a damp cotton towel.
Starting from a long side, roll cake with the towel jelly roll fashion.
Cool cake roll, seam side down, on wire rack until completely cool, about 1 hour.
Gently unroll to fill.
Make the Perfect Filling, by creaming the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Beat in the confectioners sugar, mixing until smooth and fill cake.
I then roll it in plastic wrap and foil and freeze. I make this up to a month ahead of using it. I usually use this for thanksgiving and make it in October.
Before serving sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
You can splurge and serve with vanilla bean ice cream and caramel topping.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:10pm
post #17 of 17

my family LOVES pumpkin rolls, i make them every thanksgiving. my brother refuses to eat anything with cheese in it (yes, even *cream* cheese) so i always fill his with smbc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%