Need Some Filling Suggestions For Chocolate Cake

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm by junny629

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 27

I'm doing a cake for my son's Baptism this weekend. The top tier will be chocolate and the bottom will be yellow cake torted into three layers wtih raspberry and apricot fillings.

What are some good suggestions for the filling of the chocolate cake? I'll cover this in fondant and, because we'll have so many family members in town, I'll have to make the cake a few days in advance. For that reason, I need a filling that can stand at room temp. I've thought about a peanut butter filling but haven't found a good recipe.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

26 replies
beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 27

There is one oreo filling recipe on here that doens't have any cream or milk, so it works for room temp. And it's very rich and wonderful. I used it in my dad's cake (see my picts, it's the Harley cake!) for his birthday and everyone loved it. I made the cake two days before the party and there were no issues.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:54am
post #3 of 27

Cookies and Cream, PB (the recipe here on CC is really good), whipped ganache, raspberry, strawberry (or either mixed into cream) or just good ol buttercream! Whipped Pastry Pride (freezer section in the store) with Nutella (by the PB's) is great, too.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 27

I can second the Oreo filling. I got oodles of compliments on it last weekend when I used it in my son's birthday cake.

JennaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaB Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 27

A White Chocolate buttercream would be good.

Here is a recipe for Peantbutter buttercream that is good.

1 C Peanut Butter
1/2 C Butter, softened
2 lbs Powdered Sugar
1/4 C Milk
2 tsp Vanilla

Cream the Pb and butter together, Add milk and vanilla and mix. Add PS 1 C at a time until you reach desired consistancy and taste.

I haven't had any problem leaving the unrefrigerated.

White Choc. Buttercream

1/2 C Shortening
1/2 C Butter, softened
4 oz Baker's White Chocolate squares
2 tsp. Vanilla Ext
1 lb Powdered Sugar
2 T Heavy Cream

Melt white chocolate over a double boiler. Cream shortening and butter on med speed. Add melted chocolate, add vanilla. On low add powdered sugar until incorporated. Add cream 1 T at a time until you get med. consistency.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 3:06am
post #6 of 27

Real easy and simple....Pastry price and peanut butter....or dream whip and peanut butter. about 1 cup peanut butter to one large tub.....hand whip till smooth and consistancy and taste you like.

Spread on cake right away... refrig after filling if needed but it can stay out just fine.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

I can second the Oreo filling. I got oodles of compliments on it last weekend when I used it in my son's birthday cake.

just a thought is it the one with the marshmallow cream?
Sorry, Thank You

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 27

A peanut butter buttercream laced with mini chocolate chip morsels sounds good to me right now. Or it could just be P-PMS. icon_biggrin.gif
As far as Pastry Pride, we used it exclusively in our fillings in the bakery, and it does go sour. I would refrigerate it.
Oreo filling sounds good, too. Yum!

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 27

the marshmallow creme oreo filling recipe is great. also the nutella recipe is soo good.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 27

Can you make a whipped cream type of frosting/filling out of pastry pride? This heavy whipping cream is getting expensive!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 27

Just adding peanutbutter to buttercream is really yummy!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 27

My Oreo filling is simply blending Oreo pudding mix into Frostin Pride and adding extra crushed Oreos.

You can also make White chocolate cheesecake (this is a stable recipe) and blend in any flavor you like. Creme de Menthe is really good! Or adding seedless raspberry preserves to it.

8 oz cream cheese, softened
6 oz white chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
4 c whipped Frostin' Pride or Cool Whip
1 pkg cheesecake pudding

Warm the cream cheese in the microwave for 20 seconds and beat til smooth. Melt the chocolate in micro and cool slightly. Temper the chocolate by blending in a small amount of cream cheese before blending it all into the cream cheese.

Beat the pudding into the Frostin' Pride; add it to the cream cheese mixture. Add flavorings or fruit filling, if desired.

I usually double this recipe for a cake with 2 filling layers.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 4:37am
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Can you make a whipped cream type of frosting/filling out of pastry pride? This heavy whipping cream is getting expensive!

Pastry Pride works very well as a whipped cream-type frosting. We did our banquet cakes with them.
It also works great as a substitute for heavy cream in the instant-pudding mousse.
They used to have a product called Frostin' Pride. Don't know if they still have it, but it is thicker and lends itself to piping. I didn't like the texture, and prefer to use Pastry Pride, but YMMV.
Mix Whipped PP with Bavarian Cream filling, the kind in a tube, for a yummy, light filling. It flavors well with liqueurs or extracts.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:13am
post #14 of 27

Oh my gosh, so many good ideas! Thanks to everyone especially those of you who took the time to type out your recipes.

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:42am
post #15 of 27

I didn't see this suggested filling..........ready made cheesecake! It comes in chocolate & plain. Comes in a tub...Great for quick * easy filling. It is extra special in a carrot cake.

adikhawaja1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adikhawaja1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:52am
post #16 of 27

What about if you make a caramel mousse filling using the pastry pride. it works really well and goes great with chocolate. You can make your own caramel or use the store bought kind, just fold in to already whipped pastry pride. but if you make it from scratch make sure the caramel is completely cooled before adding to the pastry pride. Hope this helps!!
icon_smile.gif

JMCUSTOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JMCUSTOM Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:04am
post #17 of 27

I like to suggest either a custard or vanilla pudding with strawberries and bananas

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 27

JennaB...gotta try that ..sounds yummy

Also dulce de leche- added to buttercream or pastry pride goes well with chocolate cake.

great ideas everyone,they are making me hungry....

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 27

I want to try all your ideas... however, I can't find pastry pride here as I live overseas. Does anyone know what I can use instead of pastry pride? Will cool whip work?

Jessica0137 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica0137 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #20 of 27

This is one of my favorite's although it is very simple. . . I make an almond cream filling and it tastes GREAT with chocolate! I simply use a vanilla pudding, made with a little less milk (so it will be a thicker consistancy), add some almond extract, a small amount goes a long way, then I lighten it up with some cool whip! Really yummy! Also banana cream made with the pudding and cool whip is really good too! icon_smile.gif

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:17pm
post #21 of 27

We like plain cherry pie filling in between chocolate layers. Can be left at room temp. Not fancy but taste good.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by junny629

I want to try all your ideas... however, I can't find pastry pride here as I live overseas. Does anyone know what I can use instead of pastry pride? Will cool whip work?

Cool Whip will work, it just has to be refrigerated. Maybe find a listing for Rich's or Pastry Pride and so if any bakeries near you use it? You can always ask to buy some from a bakery.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:56pm
post #23 of 27

I know you said the yellow layer will have a raspberry filling, but the raspberry is awesome with chocolate!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:20pm
post #24 of 27

these sound yummy.... I might have to but some of these in my cupcakes I am doing this week end..

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:54pm
post #25 of 27

The filling that I put in almost all of my chocolate cakes (germans choc. is the exception) is a peanut butter cokie...I make a large peanut butter cookie in the same pan I used for the cake, any recipe, I use the Betty Crocker cookie mix in an envelope and it makes a 10 - 12" layer, for a 8 - 9" layer I just halve it but still add the one egg it calls for (how to half it?) an it turns out great! Leave a space all around the edge for expansion and just grease the pan well and it pops out with no problem. I doesn't have to be refrigerated as you really need it to "sit" for a few hours, preferably overnight for the cookie to soften and become part of the cake... I put icing under and over the cookie layer to glue it in place. It is the best peanut butter filling I've used. I also do a sugar cookie layer in my butter or white cake which you can flavor and/or tint...soo pretty and delicious too, on this one I also use the Betty Crocker cookie mix in the envelope, I'm so lazy...but it is soo good. icon_biggrin.gif

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 27

raquel1,

What a great idea to put a cookie in between cakes! Wouldn't you know this would come from another Texan. I have got to try this.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #27 of 27

Wow, I've never heard of using cookie as filling. I will have to give it a try some time.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%