Leaving Cake Mix In Fridge Overnight?

Decorating By whaley_s Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 1:34am by indydebi

whaley_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whaley_s Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making up my cake mix, but I don't want to actually bake the cake until tomorrow as it's for a wedding on Saturday. Is it ok to leave the mix, prepared, and covered in the fridge over night?

9 replies
marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:00am
post #2 of 10

sorry, I don't know the answer but I would like to!!!

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 10

I wouldn't. I doubt the leaening will work and you'll end up with a flat cake when you bake it.

A tightly Saran wrapped and Zip-locked cake will be fine for an extra day. Or throw it in the freezer - I've started baking most of my cakes ahead and freezing for a couple of days so I don't have to worry about my time management.

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 10

not a good idea. once you mix the batter it should be baked right of way so it rises properly. if it sits overnight it won't rise properly leaving you with short cakes.....

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 10

If I were you, I would bake it and freeze. icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:12am
post #6 of 10

go ahead and bake it. Cake keeps so well. I always have my ckes for the weekend bake by Tuesday. I just vacuum seal and freeze. I have done that as far as a week ahead to rave reviews.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 10

If it's a box-mix, it only takes less than 5 minutes to mix one up, so you're not really saving that much time in exchange for the potential problems it could bring.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:25am
post #8 of 10

someone here on CC actually tried putting the cake batter in a cake pan and then freezing that. i think she then thawed it to room temp and baked. she says it didn't differ much from the batch mixed and baked on the same day. i haven't tried it myself but i will try it one day.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:32am
post #9 of 10

I did this ONCE icon_redface.gif
When the cake mix came to room temp it was the oddest shade of a yellowy whiteish kinda gray blob. (it started out as a white cake mix) I put it in the pan, baked it and it did not rise and was gummy. Never again It takes 5 minutes to whip up a mix.

Jibbies

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:34am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneq

someone here on CC actually tried putting the cake batter in a cake pan and then freezing that. i think she then thawed it to room temp and baked.

It would be faster to mix the batter up fresh as compared to waiting around for the cake batter to thaw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%