Quilled Cake

Decorating By deetmar Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm by snowshoe1

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 11

I have been looking for the picture of a quilled wedding cake. It was featured one day this week. I thought I had is saved in my favorites, but I can't find it. I also did a search and can't find it.

I am trying to learn how to quill, bought the books, and the supplies. I love how these cakes look and wanted to ask the person that did it for any tips. I really want to do a white on white, just for practice.

If somebody knows where it is, please let me know.

Thanks

10 replies
TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 11

I wasn't sure of the term "Quill" so I Googled it and came up with this link. Wow... If this is remotely like what you're talking about, what a beautiful cake!

http://www.stefanitadio.com/2006/05/quilled-cake.html

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 11

I don't remember seeing it, I must have missed it.

My 4th of July cake this year had quilling on it, not a lot tho'. I would love to see the wedding cake you are referring to if you find it.

deetmar Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for finding that one, I love it. I wish I could find the other. It was an older cake, that had been saved alot. I know it had several tiers. I will look again and let you guys know.

I have made two paper flowers so far. I would think it would be easier with gumpaste. The papers are so little.

I was going to ask this person what width she used and did she use fondant or gumpaste?

TejasRebel Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:20am
post #5 of 11

I typed "quilling" into the search function on CC and came up with several photos and forum discussions. Did you try that? What were the colors on the cake?

deetmar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 11

I found it. It wasn't a wedding cake. It is absolutely gorgeous!

It's called "Fall Fling" done by Helipops

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=75049

TejasRebel Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:10am
post #7 of 11

icon_eek.gif Wow... that is pretty. So are the flowers done with one continuous piece that's just looped, or how is quilling supposed to be done?

deetmar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:40am
post #8 of 11

When you do it with paper, each petal is a seperate piece of paper wrapped around a quilling tool.

I have the Collette Peters book, so I will read up on it and see how she does it.

Isn't that cake amazing?! I so badly want to do this. My husband about died when he saw all the books and supplies I bought to learn how to quill. I guess if my hands are busy, I won't be putting food in my mouth. I bet he never thought of it that way icon_lol.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 11

deetmar - can you recommend any books that have good quilling patterns? The only thing I've been able to find online are basic flowers, etc... TIA!

deetmar Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

I have "Quilling, Techniques and inspiration" by Jane Jenkins, and "The New Paper Quilling" by Molly Smith Christensen.

I love the last one the best. I got it at Hobby Lobby. The first one I got at Michaels.

I have ordered several kits on line that have great detail in them. One is on flowers and one is on animals. I figured that these would cover what I want to use on a cake. The kits come with the paper and they are very reasonable, under $7.00.

You really don't need many supplies for doing the paper quilling. I went ahead and got the two quilling tools, the board that comes with a ruler and hole sizes attached, glue bottle, and a crimper. I am hoping I can use the crimper on gumpaste. I got everything for around $25.

So far it's been pretty easy to pick up. I enjoy just sitting and working on them while watching TV.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 11

Deetmar - thanks for the recommendations on the books! There are so many of them out there!

I took a quilling class at Cake Camp last month and the possibilities seem endlesss - but I always need pictures and templates for inspiration. I am hoping to pick up the book you mention because the technique seemed so easy with sugarpaste (of course this was in class with an instructor so I'm sure when I do it at home I'll think otherwise! icon_wink.gif ).

Good luck with your quilling - looking forward to seeing your creations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%