Cupcake Mix

Decorating By Joy2501 Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 2:59am by MichelleM77

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 9

I just bought a box of the new cupcake mix from BC. As far as I can tell its just a half size of the regular mix. How do I doctor it? For a regular box cake I usually add a box of pudding and 1 egg to the instructions on the box. I can halve the pudding, but what do I do about the egg?

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 9

I could never figure out the logic behind a mix that makes half the cake for twice the price.

I say go buy another one and double it ... then just use regular cake mixes from this point forward.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

Amen to that Debi. I saw them when it first came out and couldn't believe it only made 12 cupcakes and was more expensive than a regular cake mix. Bake up a whole mix and freeze the cupcakes you don't need. I do!

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 9

i saw them when they first came out and thought the same thing. 1/2 the mix for twice the price. it would be cheaper if you bought a regular mix and tossed 1/2 in the garbage,not that i ever would. always someone here at home that would eat them.........

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

Cupcake mix? Now I've heard everything...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:23am
post #6 of 9

Wow - we don't even have cupcake mix up here in Canada! That's a new one!

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 9

it is marketed as cupcake mix because it makes 12 cupcakes. but in reality it is just 1/2 a cake mix. you could probably make a single layer cake with it if you wanted to. just another gimmick if you ask me.JMHO........

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:49am
post #8 of 9

I personally have used the cupcake mix and used 1 box of sugar free instant pudding and 1 1/2 TBL of unsweetened applesauce NO extra egg to make a moist cupcake.
If you want to you could add just the egg white if you thought the whole egg is too much.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 2:59am
post #9 of 9

I don't understand the need for a cupcake mix. I've read in some cake decorating books that cupcakes shouldn't be made with cake mixes/recipes, but I don't get it. What's the difference?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%