Cherry Flavored Cake Recipe?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 26 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm by sadsmile

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have a cherry flavored cake recipe to share?

I am making a "Chocolate Covered Cherry" cake and planning to use cherry and almond extracts with the WASC recipe, but I've never done it before and was hoping to find a good cherry cake recipe that is more than just adding maraschino cherries to cake batter.

(It will have mini-chocolate chips and a cherry-chocolate-fudge filling)

15 replies
MacsMom Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 16

Alrighty then. If no one has a recipe to share with me, here's one I found to share with you!

3 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 box white cake mix
1 small box of cherry jello
3/4 cup reserved marashino cherry juice
1 jar (16 oz size) maraschino cherries; drained and coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs on high speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Blend water and oil with eggs. Slowly add cake mix and jell-o, beating constantly. Add maraschino cherries juice and beat for 2 additional minutes.

Gently stir maraschino cherries into the batter.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 16

Try the coffee syrups... they come in all types of flavors. You can add them to the batter and the simple syrup.

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 16

Wow that recipe sounds awesome. I would like to try it myself sometime. Let us know how it turns out.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 16

I just made a delicious cherry flavored cake. I started with vanilla cake and added in 1tsp butter flavor and 1tsp cherry extract. It baked up a wonderfully light and refreshing flavor! I wanted something more real then the coolaid cherry ya know...lol that's why I added vanilla and butter to balance it and it really worked!

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 16

Dede Wilson makes a chocolate covered cherry cake. I have not tried it, but is sounds awesome. If you still would like one, I can post it. It is a scratch recipe, but can probably be adapted for a box mix as well. Don't know if you prefer one over the other icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 16

I just took the one out of the oven that I listed made with Jell-O, YUCK! icon_razz.gif

So I was just about to experiment witht he WASC recipe using LoRann cherry extract.

Thank you, sadsmile, for the vote of confidence that it will turn out well (I'll add the butter extract!).

sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 16

I haven't heard of anyone who likes the jello recipie..lol sorry. just start with vanilla and add your flavors. I think there is a whole lot of citric acid in jello now that messes with the cake in bad way. But go the simple way and just add pure flavor to a vanila cake and I promiss you will love it! all that red dye isn't good for us any way right?!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 16

Use almond flavoring in the place of the vanilla in your cherry cake. Wow!

Jibbies

sadsmile Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 16

I forgot to tell you I added a couple drops of lemon!!!
Almond is nice but it can be over powering to fruit flavors unless used sparingly... Also something to think about is balancing an artificial flavor is done best by adding a natural flavor. Two artificial flavors wind up too sweet for me. That's why I used real vanilla. I also love to add a couple drops of lemon. Lemon is something no cherry pie is complete without. It just compliments the cherry so perfectly and wasn't noticible in my cake(and that's why I forgot it!).

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 16

i made the chocolate covered cherry cake from the cake mix doctor where i took a box of chocolate cake and added a can of cherry pie filling. i dont see why you couldnt do the same using a vanilla cake as the base.

Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake
1 - box Devils Food Cake
1 - 21oz can of Cherry Pie Filling
2 - eggs
1 - tbsp almond extract

Mix the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract together in a large mixing bowl
Blend with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute
Stop the machine and and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about 2 minutes more, scraping the sides again if needed.
Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a rubber spatula.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

I just mixed everything together in a large pyrex with a whisk. The batter yielded about 4-1/2 cups

MacsMom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 16

This is actually for a wedding cake! She wants cherry cake with chocolate chips (I'm using mini chips so they won't sink). I'm thinking the WASC recipe will work best -- and thanks for the tip about lemon!

I'm going to mix it up in about an hour. The kids are down for a nap, so I'm taking a moment to just chill...

I added the chopped maraschinos in the Jell-O recipe to see if they would be okay in the cake, but I didn't like them at all. Too artificial. So I'm leaving any fruit out.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 16

There was an interesting recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor I always wanted to try. I don't know the exact recipe, sorry, but maybe someone could help here.

It was a box of white cake mix and a pint of melted premium ice cream (She recommended Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia - which would be right up where you're looking for.) She still added eggs or oil, I don't remember which or how much.

Let me know if you do try it, I'd love to hear how it comes out.

MacsMom Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 16

I do have the Cake Mix Doctor but always forget to look!

I actually used the melted ice-cream idea you mentioned from the book for my orange cake - it's amazing! But I've since modified the recipe to make it more dense. I always use the basic WASC recipe icon_rolleyes.gif ~ I just used melted orange sherbet in place of the liquid and orange yogurt in place of sour cream. It's one of my favorite cakes!

MacsMom Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:21pm
post #15 of 16

I DID IT! I DID IT!!

I used the WASC recipe with white cake mix because I didn't want to go buy vanilla mix icon_cool.gif . But I used vanilla creamer in place of 2 c water and vanilla yogurt in place of the sour cream.

I used 2 drams of LoRann cherry, 1/2 t lemon extract and 2 t butter extract.

Then I added 1 cup each of mini cherry chips (from KingArthurFlour.com) and mini chocolate chips.

It tastes amazing! I am going to use a cherry-flavored fudge filling.

sadsmile Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 16

Soo fabulous! I am so glad you like it! icon_biggrin.gif It tatses like a melt in your mouth dream doesn't it! You really wouldn't think butter and lemon and cherry together till your tatse buds scream,"YES YES YES!" like on Harry met Sally..LOL It made us all drool-serious salivation in our mouths as we ate it. I am doing a happy dance for you. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%