State Fair Competitions

Decorating By kakelady00009 Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm by loriemoms

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am very new to the competition scene (zero competitions!). I am interested in entering the NC State Fair-decorated cakes category- but I can't seem to find the "theme". I know I have read before that others have a theme, but do all of them? I noticed that there are several different categories ie: wedding-buttercream, wedding buttercream-gumpaste decos, shaped-buttercream, novelty-buttercream, etc....are these the "themes"?
I'm sorry to babble on, but I am a little hesitant and would like some info from you "forum fanatics"! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your inspirations and help,
Melissa

5 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to the world or cake competition! icon_smile.gif I remember how nervous I was for my first show! icon_cry.gificon_eek.gif

the categories you listed are just that: the categories - within those categories you can create any design within the category guidelines/requirements.

Sometimes there may be a specified 'theme' within a category, such as "Christmas" in a tiered cake category. (and remember, if the category says "tiered cake", that doesn't mean it MUST look like a wedding cake! And bigger isn't always better! icon_wink.gif And remember, only one entry per category.

Are there skill-level divisions in the fair competition: Beginner, Intermediate, Professional, Master ? Or is it all just "Open"? If there are divisions, make sure to correctly place yourself.

Some other things to consider: yes, you want to create something that catches the judges creative eye- but design a cake that not only shows your range of skills, but something you can execute with precision. It is better to have a cake that is more of a simple design but well executed, than an intricate design poorly piped.

As my friend Kim Morrison (2x winner of OSAS) says: "The person who makes the least mistakes, wins!" thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 6

At our State Fair here in Arizona there are different categories, including real cake and dummy cakes. Just be sure you read the rules as to which you enter if that is even an option at your Fair.

There wasn't an overall theme at ours, but like it was posted above, a particular category could be "holiday" or "western" or "birthday" and so on.

Good luck!

KimAZ

kakelady00009 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info ya'll!!
I do know that there are different levels ie: non-professional, professional, and beginner (youth). I would be considered professional because I have taught and sold before. I just wasn't sure if I missed the "theme" part. Looks as if I didn't, and it's all on me to decide!

Thanks again, your comments were greatly appreciated...
Melissa thumbs_up.gif

kakelady00009 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 6

I do know that there are different levels ie: non-professional, professional, and beginner (youth). I would be considered professional because I have taught and sold before. I just wasn't sure if I missed the "theme" part. Looks as if I didn't, and it's all on me to decide!

Melissa thumbs_up.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelady00009

Melissa thumbs_up.gif

There usually isnt a theme at the NC State fair...although a lot of us doing something that is related to the fair itself. So just have fun with it!!!

A word of caution: Follow the rules exactly at stated as far as height, type, etc. I know a couple of cakes that were really good last year that didnt get ribbons because they didn't follow the rules...(cake too big, etc) Make sure you also put a hole in your base as they tie your information to the base of the cake..I didn't know that the first year and they had to try to find tape to get the tag on there.

Good luck and see you at the fair!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%