I Want A Part-Time Job In The Evenings! Any Of You Have One?

Lounge By KeltoKel Updated 20 Aug 2008 , 11:11am by KeltoKel

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 12

I am having a bad week. I babysat all last school year for a wonderful family with two kids, ages 8 and 12. I watched them after school 2-3 days a week, helped with homework, etc. I was able to take my (now) 21 month old son with me. The family and kids were great and SO NICE, but the mother has decided to stay home full-time since Dad got a BIG raise and a new job. Boo Hoo! She doesn't have to work.

So, I have been looking for over a month on craigslist for a new after school babysitting job. I found the last family on craigslist. Well, I found one last week, and the woman wanted me to come over right away to meet me. I have a MEd. and a BSED. I am a former elem. school administrator and teacher. The lady knows a board member from my previous elem. school and I told her she can call the board member to ask about me - I have no doubt I would get an excellent reference from anyone at my old school. They loved me there! The lady and I hit it off, things went great, she liked my toddler son and her kids were great with him.

Well, she said she would make a decision Sunday and here it is Tuesday, and no call or email. I even thanked her for the interview and told her that I looked forward to hearing from her. I can only think she found someone else. She did tell me she had a college student lined up to interview. Oh well! Maybe she didn't like the baggage of me having a toddler.

I NEED A JOB! I turned down a cake decorator job at Baskin Robbins b/c it was 20+ hours a week and that is too many hours for me. We have a Wegmen's near us and I am thinking about applying there. I have also thought about Target, but they would probably kill me with weekend hours and I don't want that either.

Can anyone offer advice? I do my cakes as a hobby so that it out of the question. I am having a bad week, and it is only Tuesday! I just want to earn some money. I loved babysitting, but I have not found anything else in my area. icon_cry.gif I keep thinking that God must have some other plan for me.

11 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 12

Where are you in PA?

KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 12

I am in Chester County, Exton area.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 12

2 questions - How are your feet, and what time does hubby get home to watch the baby?

The reason I ask is this - if you're available say from 4 or 5 pm to about 10 pm in the evenings, and your feet don't bother you - I'd suggest waitressing.

I've worked on and off for years as a server - I started just working on Saturdays to supplement a full time office job, and since I went back to college, waiting tables has paid for my tuition, books, a car, etc.

Per hour, it's the best money you can make in a part time job - if you get into the right place. Rather than getting paid $8 or $9 an hour, you can average $20-$25 waiting tables. That kind of money means you can work maybe 2-3 shifts a week - and still make a decent amount of money.

I've always worked with a lot of well-educated moms who are taking a couple years off a full time job, but still need the few extra dollars that waitressing brings in while the kids are small.

Your best bet is to work in a more upscale restaurant that has good turnover (i.e., are reasonably busy). In general, people tip better in upscale restaurants (there are exceptions of course) plus you need to turn tables in order to get at least a few. You also want to look for a restaurant that has a lot of long-term staff - if they're turning the staff over very quickly, there's a good reason for that. You also tend to do better at independent, as opposed to chain, restaurants.

Don't worry if you don't have experience waiting tables - they will train. Play up that you have had a successful career and a good education. Restaurant management knows there are a lot of women waiting tables around the kids - and these women are usually very good employees.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 12

I have thought of waitressing and have been thinking about where in my area might be a decent place. I wonder if some places would allow me to work just 2 nights a week? Most places want weekend work as well. But yes, that is a very good idea. My SIL has a waitressing job and pulls up to $200-$300 a night. That would be perfect for me.

Thanks for the info. My feet are fine, and my behind could use the exercise. icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 12

$200-$300 is unusually high, especially because we're in a recession. I'd go see where she works icon_smile.gif But in general - you're NOT making that on a weeknight.

On a more realistic level - you can average about $100 for a 5 hour shift, which works out about $20/hour. Some nights will be better, some you won't make the cost of gas - such is the nature of the business. But it all usually averages out well.

When I first started waitressing, I worked Saturday nights only. I upped that to a double on Saturdays, and then whenever I needed extra money, they'd work with me to let me work an extra weeknight shift.

It's like any job - you have to apply for a couple. Some will say no, others will say yes. The more flexible you can be, the better, obviously. Perhaps play up being able to work Friday nights if you're not willing to work Sats or Suns at all.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 12

Well, my SIL is on the other side of the state. She actually works 1-2 nights a week at a place called D's Six Pack Shop. Believe it or not, they have the largest bottled beer selection in Pittsburgh and serve bar food. They are known for their hot dogs. Her Friday nights are huge for her, and yes, she pulls in that much. The place is a big hang out, never dull, and is popular with all kinds of people. She has a full-time job, but just can't give up her money at D's. She has been there for 6 years.

There is a BYOB place hiring in my area that is Zagat rated and has gotten Best of Philly in the past. It is a nice place, but I don't know if they would hire me without experience. Doesn't hurt to check it out. Thanks for the help.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 12

Do you live near the school district where you worked? If so I can't believe that the other teachers with kids aren't begging you to watch their kids while they work! That's what happens here, the teachers appreciate other teachers watching their kids. What about tutoring? We always have parents who are willing to pay bigger bucks to have their child tutored so they will either not fall behind or because they want their kid to have enrichment. Lots of schools have a list of certified teachers who are willing to tutor. Have you checked to see if the established child care centers are looking for help. A lot of them allow your child into the program while you work there.
There is such a demand for good child care, I thought that the mom who decided to stay home would have passed your name on to other of her friends that need childcare.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 12

I am not near my former school, so that is out of the question. And again, I am interested in after school hours.

As for my former family, their kids are 8 and 12, so a bit older. They don't know anyone who needs after school care b/c they have been looking for me. The dad in this family got a new job, with a BWM, so mom doesn't really have to work. With all the after school stuff her kids are now doing, she thought it was best to stay home. They were paying me $15 an hour (no taxes) so the money was great. They treated me so well, and I loved them like my own family.

I am certified in Social Studies, and people don't usually need history tutors. Usually it is in math, reading, or science. I do so many things during the day with my son - museums, parks, sports, library, mommy and me programs, etc. and I want to keep it that way. It is why I quit my full-time job. Waitressing is a good idea. I will have to keep it in mind. Ideally, I would like another after school sitting job. I just have to find another family who doesn't mind my son like the last family I had. They were truly a wonderful family - and it will be hard to work for someone else.

Thanks for the support guys. I sure hope something comes along. I am not going to settle for anything though. I am known to be spontaneous so I am trying to think this one through.

KeltoKel Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcakes

There is such a demand for good child care, I thought that the mom who decided to stay home would have passed your name on to other of her friends that need childcare.

I agree with you here - but in my area, there are a ton of daycares and licensed home centers. People pay over $1,000 a month for care. Many want licensed centers and I can understand that. There are a ton of ads on craigslist for SAHM offering care, but very few families looking for sitters.

My former family has been looking for me, but no luck yet. They will give me a good reference, I know that for sure.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 12

I was going to suggest Mack Hospitality. (Exton is about 45 minutes from me, btw) Mack is a temp service that provides wait staff/bartenders to businesses that can't recruit them themselves. You can tell them your hours that you are available to work, and they will schedule you wherever you are needed. Sometimes, it might be serving a wedding at a hotel, at a banquet at a college, or at a nursing home. They'll pay you $10-12/ hour, which is less than if you were at Outback or someplace, but you will get the hours you want.

Also, try the dining services at your closest college. Usually, they need help and are really flexible.

KeltoKel Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 11:11am
post #12 of 12

AGH! She called me - finally! She has changed the days that she needs me, said she was trying to work some things out with her employer. Also told me she had to wait a few days to hear back from my references. OK? Funny, b/c I talked to all my references over the weekend to tell them they might be getting a call. In any case, Whew!

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. Time to get to work. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%