Gumpaste / Royal Icing Flowers, Etc.

Decorating By lasvegasmommma Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:53am by Bohnlo

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I would like to learn how to make more gumpast and royal icing flowers, etc. Can anyone recommend a website, books, etc?

Also... where can I buy premade gumpaste flowers? I was looking at a cake photo on this site, and the author said she bought her flowers at Sam's Club??? That was news to me... I have never even seen gupast flowers there!

Any hekp would be appreciated!

6 replies
jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 7

Some Sam's clubs do have gumpaste arangements on their cakes. It's totally up to the bakery manager if they will sell them to you. They have to have advance notice.
Here are some links to threads here
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Search&q=gumpaste+flowers

Hope this helps!

Jibbies

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 7

For royal flowers probably Wilton's level 3 classes.
For gumpaste, there are lots of b ooks and videos (DVD?) available. My fav book is (i think it's by) Faye Gardner. I'm not around my books so I can't check it out. An ything by Nic Lodge is great.

As for buying flowers at Sam's......hehe - what I did once was buy their cake (10x4" round) and take the bouquet off. Actually I wanted to see what their cakes were like. Not too b ad; I've had much worseicon_smile.gif Only certain, big Sam's clubs have a bakery which is where you would get the flowers.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 1:57am
post #4 of 7

Hi,

Kakeladi is right you do learn RI flowers in Course 3 but only for 1 of the 4 nights (I just finished class 3 of course 3 tonight and that's what we did). Course 2 however is nothing but RI flowers (3 of the 4 classes you learn how to make the RI flowers and on the last class you put them together on your cake and learn how to do basketweaving and a rope border). HTH!

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:22am
post #5 of 7

Someone on CC recently pointed someone to a website called
www.discountsugarflowers.com there flowers seem very very reasonably priced, I have not ordered from them yet, but want to in the near future.

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:56am
post #6 of 7

Bohnlo... that site is EXACTLY what I am looking for! Thank you!!!

I am actually a Wilton instructor, but I don't always have the time to make RI flowers. LOL!

I will have to check my Sam's Club to see if they have gumpaste flowers... I don't think I have ever seen them there.

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:53am
post #7 of 7

lasvegasmamma your very welcome, let me know if you order from them how you liked the product. I just can't decide what to order they have so many different things!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%