Sesame Street Characters

Decorating By sarah0418 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 6:38am by CookiezNCupcakez

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 13

I need some help making sesame street characters out of fondant. I saw some really nice ones in the galleries. I just need a little help with the way to make them. I am new to fondant. Any help would be appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 13

now, this isn't exactly what you asked for, but it is the basics of how to make fondant animals, etc.

so you could start with the basic and add onto it to create the character you are wanting.

" rel="nofollow">

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 20 Aug 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 13

Debbie brown books have some characters... if you like i can scan some and pm them to you.. let me know

aspecialcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aspecialcake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 13

Can you post the picture of the characters you made?
Any good advice you can share? I will also be making a cake and need some help with the characters. I want to make them using fondant, not bc.

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 13

Anat...I just posted a picture of a sesame cake i made for my niece. I can send you pictures and some instructions of the characters if you would like.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_1314291.html

Vivian

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm42101

Anat...I just posted a picture of a sesame cake i made for my niece. I can send you pictures and some instructions of the characters if you would like.

Vivian

would be able to pm me too as I would like to do this for my son 2nd b day in march! Thank u

aspecialcake Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:30am
post #7 of 13

Vivian,
I'd love to see more pictures of the Sesame Street cake, and to get instructions.
I need to make the cake next week and am starting my planning.
thanks!
Anat

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 13

Anat,

Hope this helps. If you need more directions please let me know.

For Oscar:

I made the garbage can first, just rolled some gray fondant into the thickness I needed. At the top I took some of the fondant out with a knife so that I could fit his body in and you would not see a seem. I made the two arms and a small torso and textured it using tip 233 (I think, it's the grass tip with all the little spikes on it). For the head it was easier to roll a ball and texture it and then cut the mouth with a knife. I just used the black food coloring pens to fill in the black of his mouth and a little bit of red fondant for the tongue. For the can lid, I rolled fondant over the top of the wilton food coloring canisters to give me the lid shape.

For Cookie Monster:

I made the head and body out of one piece of fondant and attached the arms and legs separately. To texture it I just used a toothpick lightly to make wavy lines. The cookies I made out of little pieces of brown fondant and used the black food coloring pens to make the "chocolate chips".

For Big Bird:

I made the legs first and let them dry with thoothpicks inserted so that I could attach the body later (I've learned that the weight of the body can distort the shape of the legs sometimes). For the body, I made a tear drop shape and textured it using tip 103 (the wider side). I just made the U shape indentation going all the way around and on a few I pulled up to make the feather look. The same was done for the head and arms.

For Elmo I printed a picture from the internet and traced it with royal icing.

Well, I hope this helped, if not please feel free to e-mail me.

Vivian
LL
LL
LL

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 13

Here is a tutorial for Elmo I found and used when I made my Grandson's birthday cake. I found it very helpfull.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=259573

You can also go to the Sculpy Clay website and find other tips for modeling figures.

aspecialcake Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:02am
post #10 of 13

Thanks Pam and Vivian!
I will post a picture of the cake after the 25th, which is when it will be delivered.

aspecialcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 13

Here is the cake I made

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1321675

I was planning to make more characters, but decided to do only elmo in the end.

Thanks, vivian once again for your help!

anat

cakemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomof3 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnm42101

Vivian

Can you PM me as well, please. I LOVE your cake and I would like to try it for my son's birthday.

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:38am
post #13 of 13

This is just what I need for my son's 2nd birthday in march!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%