Need Help Asap! How Much Should I Charge???

Business By lasvegasmommma Updated 19 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm by FromScratch

lasvegasmommma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasvegasmommma Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 13

I hosted a baby shower, and made these mini cakes instead of a cake. A friend who attended wants to order 15-18 of them for THURSDAY!!!

These are pound cake, with strawberry buttercream, covered in Satin Ice fondant, with a rpyal icing flower and ribbon at the bottom. The friend who is requesting them wants them to have a cream filling as well.

I was thinking of charging $6-7.00 a piece, but then thought that may be too high. I asked my husband, and he doesn't think that is high enough.

What would you charge???

LL

12 replies
Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 13

Go grab your calculator, and tally the cost of ingredients, $ for supplies (board/box, etc), and figure out a fair amount for labor ("pay"). If you add in the $$ for energy to fire up the oven, and gas$ to drive to the store to get your ingred/supplies, and any delivery fee (if you're going to charge for it), you'll get a pretty accurate price.

Lovely little cakes you made, btw!!! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 13

I start mini cakes at $20 each for a single tier version.. they are a lot of work. Very nice little cakes!!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 13

i charge $6 for small ckaes with simple designs like this one

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:16am
post #5 of 13

I made these for a luncheon. I charged $3.00 each. Next time I will charge $5.00
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1061703.html

Jibbies

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:23am
post #6 of 13

jibbles. those are soooo cute.. you should charge atleast $6 if not more...
i sm doing some real simple with whte fondant, little fondant roses in orange... with a thin orange ribbon on the bottom in fondant... and i charged $6

jkalman...i think if i charge $20 people would spit in my face.... and i couldnt even think of charging that... i basically charge 2 times my per slice charge!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:30am
post #7 of 13

lasvegasmommma..... what size are your beautiful little mini cakes.... just like to know... thanks

pinklesley1 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #8 of 13

yeah what sizes are they... that is a controversy with brides ... some want 2 inch and others want 3 inch...

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:47am
post #9 of 13

lasvegasmomma,

I'm new at this pricing thing myself, but I am thinking some of the price discrepancy between the bakers posting may partly be due to location. jkalman is in New Hampshire charging $20, Jibbies is in Macon Georgia charging $3 - $5. I think the cost of living is much higher in New Hampshire than it is in Georgia so jkaman could definately charge more. Also maybe jkalman has a shop and overhead and maybe Jibbies is a homebaker?? (I don't know, I am just speculating) To me personally, $20 sounds high(ofcourse I'm in TN) and $3-$5 sounds low. If you are in Las Vegas you can probably charge a little higher price also. I think you are right on target somewhere in the middle, say maybe the $7 - $10 range? Let us know what you decide to charge and what the customer thinks. Keep us posted!!

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:25am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklesley1

yeah what sizes are they... that is a controversy with brides ... some want 2 inch and others want 3 inch...

Are we still talking about cakes?? I guess size does matter! lol

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 4:38am
post #11 of 13

My mini-cakes start at $25.

FromScratch Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 2:54pm
post #12 of 13

I am a legal home baker.. I charge more because they are a LOT of work. You have to bake the cake.. torte fill and freeze.. cut them all out and freeze them again.. ice all of the little suckers that don't like to stay still and chill them.. cover them all in fondant.. and then decorate each individual cake. You have wasted cake from cutting them out and you have to cut small boards for all of them and somtimes package them up pretty (that would cost more) and transport them all and set them all up. My base fondant price is $5.50/serving, and for all of the extra work.. I charge.

From looking online I found that some of the upscale shops charge $35 min for single tiered mini cakes.. I will admit that I don't do many of them.. they are a pain and if I am going to make them.. they are going to be worth my time.

FromScratch Posted 19 Aug 2008 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 13

Pinksley.. I see you are in Miami.. you could DEFINITELY charge that much.. it's all in how you market yourself. Cost of living in Miami is up there.. and it is an image conscious area. Are you licensed? If you are then you should CHARGE. icon_biggrin.gif

Just remember that you want to be making a good wage for the time.. the minis take longer than a big cake with the same servings. You want to be making well over minimum wage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%