Gas Or Electric Conventional Oven...i Need Your Opinion

Business By Jovy Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm by Rhienn

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 8

I am reluctant of using gas oven...please give me your opinion on both...I will appreciate. icon_biggrin.gif

I forgot to add that I am looking for a gas or electric conventional oven (commercial)

7 replies
tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 8

I've used a variety of gas and electric ovens over the years and electric normally heats us quicker and cooks more evenfully. I prefer a gas cooktop but electric oven, usually.

However, the electric oven that I have now completely stinks. I have hot spots and cool spots so things cook very unevenfully. If I'm cooking cupcakes or cakes, I have to swap things around in the middle of cooking and it can really screw things up. We moved into this house 2 yrs. ago and the oven was only 1 year old at the time so it's not an old oven but it's awful.

I still recommend electric but you'll definitely want to try it out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

I actually have both. I like electric convection for cookies and gas for cakes.

Lisa93063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa93063 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 8

I prefer gas. Had an electric oven years ago and hated it.

mona1949 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mona1949 Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 8

I have always used gas and never had a problem with cooking or baking. I want to buy a gas convection oven though. I have been checking them out on the Internet.

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I actually have both. I like electric convection for cookies and gas for cakes.

Me too. I find I get a much more even colour on my cakes in my gas ovens as opposed to my electric convection.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8

I say gas all the way!! I recently just had an experience with an electric oven that I will never forget. My area got hit with hurricane/severe storms a few weeks ago that knocked out my power for a few days... the storm happened on Monday - of course I had a wedding cake due for Friday. I went to a friends house to bake, not thinking her electric oven would be any different... boy was I wrong! My cake pans over flowed (causing a fire in the over), it took almost an hour & half before they were cooked enough for me to flip them out of the pan... they were brown on top, but the bottoms weren't browned at all. I don't know if there was something wrong with her oven or just the fact that I'm used to my gas oven... but it definitely wasn't working for me.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 8

I actually like electric conventional ovens and gas convection ovens.

My home oven is electric conventional and I actually get the best results with cupcakes (comparing both conventional and convection ovens) in this oven.

We have both a gas and an electric convection oven at the kitchen. I prefer the gas for cakes and cupcakes. Although, it may just be because my gas convection has an adjustable fan and my electric convection blows on high all the time. The cupcakes don't crust as badly in the gas oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%